Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White Labs yeast temperature question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Boyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White Labs yeast temperature question

I just brewed a Kolsch using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast, and a Pilsner using White Labs Budejovice yeast. I've got them both in the kegerator @ 55*F. What is the optimum temperature in which to ferment these beers?

The white labs site says 50 - 55*F for Budejovice, and 62 - 69*F for German Ale/Kolsch (unless fermentation has started). Does this mean that I should keep the Kolsch out of the kegerator until a krausen forms?

Bottled:
Kegged: IIPA, Negro Modelo Copy
Enjoying:
On Deck:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My understanding is that you can lower the temp when the fermentation is well underway. Like you said, when the krausen forms. I would do what the first reviewer on the white labs page for that yeast strain did, ferment at 62 and then lager at 48-50.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Boyd
Recipes 

I can't ferment at less than 69 (temp of my house), because I'm fermenting a czech pilsner in the kegerator @ 55*F. Any other ideas?

Bottled:
Enjoying:
On Deck:

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I just brewed a Kolsch using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast, and a Pilsner using White Labs Budejovice yeast. I've got them both in the kegerator @ 55*F. What is the optimum temperature in which to ferment these beers?

The white labs site says 50 - 55*F for Budejovice, and 62 - 69*F for German Ale/Kolsch (unless fermentation has started). Does this mean that I should keep the Kolsch out of the kegerator until a krausen forms?
I don't understand your confusion. White Labs clearly states that the Optimum Fermentation Temperature for the WLP029 is between 65 and 69F and for WLP802 is between 50 and 55F. What is unclear about that?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can try putting the carboy in water with a tshirt draped over it and a fan on it. That will lower the temp, but not too low. I have not personally done this, but have seen it suggested on here a lot. It has to work. Remember that while the air temp may be 69, the temp in the carboy is a few degrees higher, so you might want to shoot for closer to 62 so the temp in the carboy is more like 67.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
I don't understand your confusion. White Labs clearly states that the Optimum Fermentation Temperature for the WLP029 is between 65 and 69F and for WLP802 is between 50 and 55F. What is unclear about that?
Actually - I have been brewing for a long time and it is not clear to me either. Is the temperature listed the AMBIENT temperature or the actual internal temperature of the fermenting wort. There can be an 8 degree difference (warmer in the fermenter).

Do you start out at a colder ambient temperature and allow the yeast to raise the internal temp or do you start out at the temperature and reduce it as the temperature in the fermenter raises?

Hardly a simple question.

- JVD_X

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Boyd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
There is no confusion in the optimum fermentation temperature. The question was whether I should start the ferment @ 69*F, and move it to the kegerater after it starts to show activity. Or, If I should just ferment it the whole way @ 55*F
Bottled:
Enjoying:
On Deck:

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Legin
Recipes 

Well it says "Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation." I think it would be smart to let it get started @ 69 and then drop it down. Otherwise you could risk a stuck fermenter. Just do a really good diacetyl rest afterward.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Boyd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
Well it says "Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation." I think it would be smart to let it get started @ 69 and then drop it down. Otherwise you could risk a stuck fermenter. Just do a really good diacetyl rest afterward.
What is a diacetyl rest?
Bottled:
Enjoying:
On Deck:

Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Legin
Recipes 

So if you start a lager warm, you always want to do a diacetyl rest. This just means that when the fermentation looks complete (or reads close to complete), you raise the temperature to 10 degrees higher than what it was and leave it for two to three days. This allows the yeast to eat up the diacetyl they produced in the beginning. Otherwise your beer may have a smooth, butter taste.

Quick Reply