Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White Labs and Me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
zeeba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default White Labs and Me

Cream Ale
WLP001

I can't decide if these forum are good or bad for me I read a bit online and I follow the instructions that come with the kit to the letter, then like a dummy I go read online again and I start getting the noob freak out feeling, I did not use a starter with my yeast it said on the vial to just pitch it to the fermenter now I am reading that white labs is kinda poo in a matter of speaking unless you use a starter. since I did not use a starter will this cause an off flavor in the beer since it will take longer for the yeast to take off, it is the one question I can't seem to get a really good answer on.

Pitched yeast at 1700 hours it is now 0727 and no activity I understand since there was no starter this can take up to 30 hours I have used dry yeast on my other three brew and always had activity in no more than 10 hours, that is why I am asking about flavor profile difference.

Last edited by zeeba; 02-27-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Addtion

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

You can get odd flavor if you under pitch,,, OR SO THEY SAY!

I have been using ONE (1) Packet for every 5 gallons for years on most of my beers and the Primary Fermentation us usually done in one or two days anyway.

I ony recently have been putting in a bit more in only becaue I had a couple batches using Wyeast that NEVER kicked of or if they did I missed it.

So now when I do a 11 gallon batch I toss in two (2) White Labs or two (2) Wyeasts and an addtional DRY YEAST as a backup...

SO since I should be putting in a whole lot more "active" yeast than the dry it will win out and do most of the fermentation... The dry is just there is case there is a problem...

FULL DISCLOUSER:

I don't brew a lot of High Gravity Beers but even the Barley Wines and Braggots I have brewed followed the same process.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
bmac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What wad the OG of the beer? Did you aerate the wort before you pitched? What was the date on the vial? If your OG was around 1.040, you aerated the wort and the vial was fresh you will be fine. Even if the vial was a couple months old and your OG is a little higher you should still be fine. Check out the mrmalty.com calculator and that will get you in the ballpark of the amount of yeast you should be pitching.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

What was your OG?

I always use a starter, regardless of the lab, liquid or dry.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

I've used WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast in two batches I brewed on Fat Tuesday & the following Saturday. The first,A light colored pseudo lager I made a 800mL starter for. It's OG was 1.055. I used spring water in both,& had gallon jugs chilling in the garage overnight. They were both partial mash. On the first,when I mixed chilled wort & top off together,I got it down to 64F. The yeasts' range is 65-69F,which the chilly blustery weather held beautifully. Initial fermentation took off in about 12 hours.
The second,A black lager from a member's recipe pm'd to me from Ireland I tweaked with the German yeast & added haulertauer to his Czech saaz hops. Also tossed in 1/2lb German rauchmalt,doing a small mash with the chocolate & carahell malts. It got a grilled roasty quality to it with that caramel buiscotti flavor on the back from the Thomas Cooper's Select Heritage Lager can.
Anyway,I chilled it down,mixed it with top off water in the fermenter. I guess it was colder in the garage by weeks end,since the wort got down to 12C,or 53.6F. Oopsie! I didn't make a starter for this vial of the same 029 yeast for comparisons' sake. The vial said it was good pitched direct up to OG1.070,so I tried it. Had I gotten the wort down to 64F instead,it looks like it would've taken off in the same amount of time the first did.
All in all,this WL029 liquid German yeast is the steadiest fermenter I've ever seen. Watching the airlock,the fermenting rhythm was like a galloping horse.
And I mean from start to finish,this blubblubblub,blubblubblub...right up to the point where initial fermentation was done. This is the first time I've used liquid yeasts,& if they're all this steady,I'll try using & washing more of them.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
zeeba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OG 1043 I got the vial a week ago didn't even notice the date on the vial I'll check it tonight when I get home I aerated very well. I think my friend has a packet of dry yeast in his fridge that he has not used yet would mess up the brew of I pitched that on the fermenter tonight?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeba View Post
OG 1043 I got the vial a week ago didn't even notice the date on the vial I'll check it tonight when I get home I aerated very well. I think my friend has a packet of dry yeast in his fridge that he has not used yet would mess up the brew of I pitched that on the fermenter tonight?
At 1.043, and with fresh yeast, you should be just fine. Wait at least 24 more hours before doing anything!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

I agree. the second one I brewed that week & got too cold took 24-30 hours to get going including warm up time. Otherwise,I think 12-24 hours would be normal for a direct pitch.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
zeeba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Roger, going to learn how to do a starter for the next brew. Every brew I dig a little deeper in and find new ways to make myself think I'm going to destroy my beer. Home brewing is very addictive.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The best advice I can give is set your plans and then ignore any new ideas - especially don't read anything here!

I agree - if your process was sanitary you could theoretically get one yeast cell in there and make a drinkable beer. Wait it out and see what happens.

Dry yeast is a different animal entirely. It's packaged (reportedly/maybe urban legend) with some sorta yeast steroids (probably a standard energizer) and really goes to town quickly. Even violently. To get that sort of start with a liquid yeast is a goal but sometimes we just don't get there.

Yesterday I pitched a batch of Pacific Ale. It was about 3 weeks from the manufacture date and spent an extra week god-knows-where in FedEx land in god-knows-what sort of climatic conditions. The day before I made a 1 liter starter (on a stir plate) and yesterday when I brewed it was damn near fermented out and ready to pitch. You will learn to appreciate a good starter if you continue to use liquid yeast.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

zeeba Likes This 

Quick Reply