New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White Labs is horrible!!!... maybe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Nickhouse80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White Labs is horrible!!!... maybe.

Maybe I'm being impatient. This is the second time I've tried using White Labs yeast. The first time absolutely nothing happened and the beer just soured- had to throw it out. Last night I made an American Hefeweizen and used White Labs American Hefeweizen liquid yeast. It has been about 12 hours and I'm not seeing any activity. I know everyone says it can take a while to get started but I'm really nervous this will sour also. Expiration date is good, pitched at approx. 75 degrees and it was well aerated. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you make a starter?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to absolutely disagree that "White Labs is horrible."

I've never had any trouble with White Labs yeast that was White Labs' fault.

I had one tube of dead yeast due to having been in shipping for 5 days in the summer heat, but I've used WL yeast at least a half dozen times with no issues, and thousands of others have too.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Before saying the whole company sux I would consider that you are new to brewing. Did you check the date on the yeast packages? Did you properly care for the yeast pkg? Like Flyangler said, did you make a starter? I have pitched just a vial of WL and everything turned out ok everytime, but a starter is the best idea. There are many commercial and homebrewers using their yeast with great results. Have you considered that something is wrong in your personal process that may have detremental effects on the viability of your yeast? Pitching too hot or otherwise? Lots of factors could be at work here. what yeasts have not worked and what was your process.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not enough info on your specifics, but fly's right for the generic answer anyone should give. I use WL and love it, but unless I'm pitching on a cake I like a starter. Is this a 5 gallon batch? Also, are you using the airlock as a proof of fermenting device (cause... that's a whole nother' thread), or are you judging by surface bubbles? Either way isn't a good judge of fermentation. Wait and I am sure you are fine, but please let me know more. I'm betting your dandy though and have nothing to fear this time.

EDIT: Dang you guys are fast, lol I was thinking I was third post, lol. Fast bastids!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like you didn't make a starter. If you underpitch any brand of yeast your results will be mediocre at best.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhouse80 View Post
Maybe I'm being impatient. ... It has been about 12 hours and I'm not seeing any activity. Any thoughts?
You're being impatient.....http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/ Before that, especially without making a starter you often get lag time....

And if you are going by airlock activity as a "gauge" don't,it's really faulty, the only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

But until it's been 72 hours I wouldn't worry...and also if you don't make a starter with liquid yeast, I would encourage you to do so in the future.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
Sounds like you didn't make a starter. If you underpitch any brand of yeast your results will be mediocre at best.
I learned this as a beginner too. Proper or slightly above correct pitch counts are critical but temps are nice too.
On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Gang...he's going by airlock activity...that and impatience is his only problem....

The rate of airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling or airlock bubbling in general really means nothing except that co2 is being vented and the top of the fermentor will not explode spewing your beer all over the palce...It is NOT any type of a gauge.

Some bubble fast, some bubble slow, some never bubble, some people don't use airlocks....and yet the yeasties do their thing and beer is made, that's all that matters.

So, get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this for why airlock analysing is useless, and what is the only gauge of ferementation...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
viking999

Recipes 

I always use a starter now for liquid yeasts, but I didn't used to. I have never had a problem pitching White Labs directly from the vial into the wort. I think the real problem here is you're impatient. 12 hours is nothing. It frequently takes longer than that for fermentation to start up if you didn't make a starter. I think the most common advice on these forums is to wait 72 hours before thinking about pitching a second vial of yeast.

If you need me, I'll be out behind the woodshed pounding Grolsches.

--------------------

Primary: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH

Bottle: Deizbeutzervet Dunkelweizen
Keg: Independence Day Strawberry Blonde
Keg: Munich/Mt. Hood SMaSH

Quick Reply