Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > white labs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
delweaver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default white labs

This is my second batch as a noob, my kit came with white labs liquid yeast it says on the vial: Remove yeast from fridge 3 -6 hours prior to pitching. Kettle is already boiling should i stop brewing or keep going and pitch whenever beer is ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Take it out of the fridge now. Pitch it when the batch has cooled. Expect a long lag time (at least 12 hours, perhaps 36 or more).

Read up on liquid yeast and yeast starters so you're more prepared next time.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
Bosh
Recipes 

In the future make starters with liquid yeasts, especially with lagers and big beers. Making starters is annoying so I generally use dry yeast whenever possible since its easier.

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been using liquid yeast for awhile. I have not used starters though. I am going to use a starter for a batch next week. My American wheat took about 36 hours until I saw some activity. I have noticed that almost every time with liquid yeast. I always assumed that liquid was better than dry yeast. I am not convinced it has been.

Unless the style of beer is yeast dependent, I cannot say that I have seen as much of a difference as I would want for the extra cost of liquid versus dry. I plan to go back to dry for my pale ales, IPA's, brown ales and stouts.

I think I will use liquid for a bavarian wheat or other styles where the yeast imparts more flavor onto the beer. I have read that I should use liquid lager yeast also. I have not tried to make one yet though.

If it was me, I would make a starter and save yourself the worry of a slow start to fermentation.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Bob Loblaw
Recipes 

finish your boil and cool (that will take awhile anyways). 3-6 hrs is ideal, so just warm it with your hands to speed things up and pitch it when your wort is cool. hope it turns out good!

"Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita" - Life is too short to dance with ugly women

Primary 1: Raspberry Hefe
Primary 2: Phat Tyre
Secondary 1: Kelly's Killer Porter (dry-hopped)
On Tap: Irish Stout, IPA, Brown Ale, Apfelwein, ESB, Pissed off Porter, Aaron's Bitter,Smoked Porter,American PA

Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
morganm
Recipes 

seriously, i did the same thing the other day. i had the yeast in the fridge and i had already started steeping... i just took it out, held it in my hands for a few minutes and shook it around, by the time the wort cooled, the vial was room temp. and guess what, my airlock was bubbling 10 hours after i pitched the yeast.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
delweaver
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just and update my beer started bubbling about 24 hours after I pitched the yeast and everything seems to be fine right now

thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oh, one more thing, after you shake the vial, open it OVER your bucket and be prepared for a Whoosh and spray, there is bilt up Co2 in the tube, from the yeasties doing their things. Many of us were unprepared for the woosh when we cracked the seal on the first one...I think a someone (Yooper) actually dropped their vial into the fermenter once.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply