Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White foamy patches - pic included

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
kgstewar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White foamy patches - pic included

Hi all,
Noob here in the midst of brewing my first pale ale. First fermentation went fine (I think) and after a week I transferred wort to my glass carboy for fermentation #2. After a couple of days these white foamy patches appeared. Anything to be concerned about? Or just bubbles? Thanks!
Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's yeast colonies kicked up by racking...You racked too soon and fermentation has started again...The glass carboy is for Clearing Only. You wait until fermentation is complete (by taking 3 successive hydrometer readings) Before you move it over to your secondary. The term "Secondary fermenter" is a misnomer.

Don't be surprised (depending on how much fermentation was left to happen) if you even get a new krauzen forming, it has been known to happen though it is rare...Most of them will fall trough to the bottom, though it's rare that the top of the beer doesn't have a few fizzy colonies on top.

Every thing is fine But you are best to leave it in there for at least 2 weeks and make sure the hydrometer readings are stable for 3 days before you bottle, or else you could have bottle bombs.

Now leave this beer alone...your primary is open so brew another batch.

Oh and welcome!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
kgstewar
Recipes 

Revvy, Thanks a lot for such a detailed and information-rich response! I will leave it be and will make sure the fermentation has stopped before bottling. Thanks again,

Kevin

Quick Reply