Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whirlflock question and recipe substitution question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Whirlflock question and recipe substitution question

Two kind of newbie questions I have:

1) When using whirlflock to clarify beer, does the clarifying action of the whirlflock occur during the last 15 minutes of the boil or does it occur during the primary fermentation time? the reason why I asking is that if I use a whirlflock tablet for clarity and then dump the entire contents of the boil kettle into the primary does the benefit of the whirlflock continue or am I just undoing its affect? Thus, if I use whirlflock should I transfer the brew contents from the kettle using an auto-shipon with racking cane or just dump everything in?

2) Accoring to the weather man we are not suppose to get hit with snow tomorrow and thus I want to do another brewing session. I have to brew outdoors (in the garage area) due to home constraints and I was thinking about substituting either Briess Pilsner or Pale Ale malt in the recipe below. I am all out of american 2-row and there is no LHBS near me to try to buy more. Anyone have an opinion (good or bad) on using either of these grains as a substitute?

Speckled Cow Cream Ale
(4 gallon recipe, All grain, single infusion batch sparging)

5 lb Two-Row
0.5 lb Flaked barley
0.5 lb carapils
0.5 lb crystal 40L
0.5 lb flaked corn
0.5 oz Cluster (60 min)
0.5 oz Cluster (30 min)
US-05 yeast or Wyeast American Ale 1056

I have made this before as a house ale to keep on tap for many of my under privileged BMC drinking friends.

I know this is a lot to read through so i appreciate any feedback you may have.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not sure about the WhirlFlok, but I think it pulls things out of suspension (flocculates) they will just end up in the bottom of your fermenter.

As to the malt choice. It will make no obvious difference, especially to a bunch of friends who can stomach BMC.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The Pale Ale malt should be fine as a base malt for your recipe. The Pils malt is a better base for lagers and Pilsners, but you could make both work. Personally, I would use P/A malt myself but someone with more knowledge will probably chime in.

Quick Reply