The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where's The Chocolate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Where's The Chocolate?

A year ago I found a recipe for an American brown ale and took the ingredients list to a LHBS. I was told they didn't carry the specific pale chocolate I had on my list, but that he'd fix me up with what would do.

That brown ale tasted very chocolatey and was great. I've tried to tweak the recipe to gain more pronounced chocolate, but have ended up with a roasty porter like beer instead.

My brew log got wet where the amounts were entered and so I can only assume I'm reading what I do. And I didn't list the brand of pale chocolate. I have no idea what the original recipe called for, and I've asked what they figured they would have given me as a substitute, but they aren't sure.

The way I read my original recipe is:

7 lbs Briess golden light LME
12 oz pale chocolate
10 oz crystal 60
6 oz crystal 120
I'm not sure what my yield was as I wrote both 5-5.5 gal and 5.5-6 gal ???

What I've been doing is 12 oz dark (350) or pale (200) chocolate, and 8 oz of both 60 and 120. I've also switched to pilsen LME and 1 lb of Bavarian wheat DME.

What I've been told here is that I may be using too much chocolate malt and getting the roasty taste. Were I to yield 5.3 gal or so how much chocolate should I be using?

I've heard of people using cooking chocolate too... I'd be willing to try it, but would like to use grains since I know it can be done and it's been bothering me that I can't replicate or even come close to it.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I really don't have a lot of experience on the subject but might they have given you chocolate wheat?? I've got a lb, or so, kicking around at the moment and it definitely has a more chocolate-y, than roast-y, aroma.

Maybe 4 Oz of dark chocolate malt might yield a similar flavour to a 12 Oz pale choco malt addition.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've read that the "chocolate" when refering to a malt is talking about the color not the flavor. If you want chocolate flavor use unsweetened cocoa powder in your boil. Do a search on cocoa power and see what comes up.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

"I've read that the "chocolate" when refering to a malt is talking about the color not the flavor."

But the first brown ale I made had a chocolate taste from whatever malt they gave me.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Pale chocolate malt will offer some/better coffee/chocolate flavors... "Lighter than most chocolate malts. It adds great color and a smooth chocolate flavor." I've been using it more in my darker brews, when I wanted that flavor addition.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I've tried cocoa powder at flameout in a stout and didn't care for it. I 've gotten nice chocolate flavor from pale chocolate at 12 oz per 5 gallon (again, this is in a stout though). I was using Hugh Baird as that is what the LHBS carries - 200L.

Quick Reply