Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where are you Brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
SophieMC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Where are you Brewing?

Hey everybody! Where are you brewing? How is the environment and the conditions of the place? Is it at the kitchen, in a separate room, at the garage? If you have any pic to share

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I brew in the kitchen. It's just too hot and humid in Texas to be outside, and then I worry about bugs.

I also LOVE the smell the house has for the rest of the day!

I've recently moved, and have found that the glass top stove just doesn't do as well as the old stove. We are considering some sort of plug in burner, but I'm not so sure we can get one that works on 120v to do what we need as I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger pot (mine's 5 gals now but want an 8 as I do 6 gal batches), and SWMBO cans. I'd be OK with a drop in heating element too.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
SophieMC Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It depends on what I am brewing. If it's all grain then I do it outside because my stove can't boil that much water.

If I am doing an extract or small batch I will brew in the kitchen.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In my basement. I'm batteling bugs every day. I wish I lived closer to the equator, since I love just relaxing in the hammock and playing with the dogs outside during the summer during brewday, which is only about three months here, I have a door going straight into our yard from the basement.

It's a pretty SWHBO free area, she occasionaly pokes her head out one of the windows from the second or third floor, and since she's a celiak the smell of a brewday reminds her of "GLUTEN, OMG!" and the door down to the basement is suddenly shut if I forgot to close it. I've asked her several times if she wants to join for a clarity ferm brew, and she says yes, but nothing happens

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
seph
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I brew outside, even in the winter. It takes more gas during the winter here in Maine, but I can still get a boil in my 15 gallon pot.

Most of the time I brew outside the basement door, under the deck. that way I'm in the shade in the summer, and not in three feet of snow in the winter. It's also a bit of a wind break there, and I can duck back in the house if I'm cold/hot.

My last few batches I have put my burner and pot on a pallet with a small piece of plywood, to get some more elevation. Otherwise I can only fill my last fermenter about half way. Other than that, my mash tun sits on a table in the basement, and I have my sparge/bottling bucket on a chair, on the table to give it enough elevation over the mash tun. I drain the wort from the mash tun into buckets or my 7 gallon pot, and dump them into the boil pot.

It's not a great set up, but it works for now.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieMC View Post
Hey everybody! Where are you brewing? How is the environment and the conditions of the place? Is it at the kitchen, in a separate room, at the garage? If you have any pic to share
I usually brew on my deck, except last weekend when I was chased down into the driveway by over 1000 bees who had apparently set up shop in my capped gutters.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
liquidlunch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here in CT I can pretty much brew outside year round. Unless it's really cold and snowy but I enjoy brewing outside. If I'm not outside I'm in the garage with the door open. The wife said no more kitchen after a few boil overs on the new stove. I all grain brew now and the kitchen is not big enough to accommodate the equipment. All my equipment is organized in the garage and my system can roll outside pretty easily so the driveway works pretty well.
Cheers!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I brew in the garage on a burner. burner just outside the door. I brewed once in the kitchen when I was brewing extract I didn't like it. If I tried to brew all grain in the kitchen now, my swmbo would not be pleased. In Corona ca the garage can get pretty hot during the summer but its a labor of love.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
thCapn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All grain, propane, in the basement, concrete floors for easy clean up, plenty of ventilation, all of my equipment and supplies are within arms reach, large utility sink for water supply and wash-up, no weather concerns. Thankfully, my wife likes the results.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
mspindler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the Kitchen!

All grain, all electric, and air conditioned. Since we don't have a garage (converted) or basement (California), it works out great. For now the brewery storage room is our third bedroom. I just wheel the brew cart out into the kitchen and it's ready to go. Let's hope my wife doesn't want another kid anytime soon. I may be looking for alternate storage.

My brand new homebrewing blog!
http://brewingthehousedown.wordpress.com

Quick Reply