Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where are my flaws?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
Joneszen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
You are expecting one week from pitch to glass?
Yea I wanted a quick beer, and put this together last minute in hopes that it would be ready. I have kegged beer before in a week and it turned out great. I know many like to age their beer in primary and secodary but you do not always have to do that necessarily.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Joneszen
Recipes 

What fermentation temps would you recommend for a dark ale? I would always let it go at whatever the room temp was in the basement but now that I have the ferm chamber I can maintain a specific temp.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszen
What fermentation temps would you recommend for a dark ale? I would always let it go at whatever the room temp was in the basement but now that I have the ferm chamber I can maintain a specific temp.
It's not so much the style of beer but the strain of yeast you are using and it's ideal temperature range so why don't you tell us what yeast you are using and fretting over and we can tell you or you can go to the manufacturer's website and find out yourself. Not trying to be harsh but you seem to be in a hurry and yeast when treated properly will do its job in its own time frame, not yours.

If you really want a fast beer then raise the temperature to say 80-90 and the yeast will go nuts and finish in a day but your beer will suck! If you want a great beer then relax, get the fermentation in the right place and leave things be......obviously I'm being a little snide and sarcastic so don't wig out, just take it as the joke it's meant to be.....

Next time you brew do your research ahead of time with the yeast so you have things planned out and know in advance what temperature you will be fermenting at. If you have a fermentation chamber already then you are ahead of the game so put it to good use and you will be rewarded with great beer!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
Joneszen
Recipes 

I am using White Labs Abbey yeast, temperature ranges are between 66-72. It is at about 72 right now, I guess my question is how will it affect my beer at the lower range vs the higher? As far as planning goes I did throw this all together last minute. My main issues had to do with never having to wait more than a day to get activity.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszen
I am using White Labs Abbey yeast, temperature ranges are between 66-72. It is at about 72 right now, I guess my question is how will it affect my beer at the lower range vs the higher? As far as planning goes I did throw this all together last minute. My main issues had to do with never having to wait more than a day to get activity.
Whenever you ferment at the highest temperature of the given range you can assume you will get the most pronounced flavor profile of the strain. If that is desirable than you are fine, if you want less than you want to lower the temperature.

As for lag time, some yeast take off quickly others don't and the bigger the beer the longer they may take also dependent upon proper pitching rate, aeration, etc. I've had beers take off in as little as 6 hours and others that take up to 24 and I make proper starters and aerate with O2, it just depends

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Joneszen Likes This 

Quick Reply