Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where is a good place to buy a beer kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Crash 2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where is a good place to buy a beer kit?

I would like to use an extract kit again as I am new at this. This will be my second batch.

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where did you get your first one?

There are a bunch of preferred online sites if you look around here ... Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, just to name a few.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Where do you live? Is there no Local Homebrew Shop in your area?

If not there's plenty of online shops you can order brew kits and equiptment from..... I'll put a plug in for the one Online Retailer who is an active participant of this forum, and is always available if you have questions. It's Austin Homebrew Supplies....He also runs specials on brew kits, which he usually announces here.. I think he had a special on kits on a thread today even....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
UpNorth
Recipes 

Midwest out of Minneapolis has been good to me

www.midwestsupplies.com

Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
coeceo
Recipes 

I have found the cheapest between Austin homebrew, Northern Brewer, and listermann when it comes to extract kits. These all make there own extract which is much better and cheaper than the canned alternatives. I've also tried Annapolis hombrew which was a really quality kit, but on the pricey side.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Austin Homebrew has a TON of kits, and I have never had a bad experience with them. Forrest (the owner) is also a member here and tends to answer questions.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
tabernak
Recipes 

Austin Homebrew and Midwest supplies were both good to me, in fact I just made another order with Austin Homebrew today. Midwest prices seem a little lower, but AHB's 6.99 flat shipping can offset that on many orders. I do like that Midwest lists their kit instructions on the website so you know what to expect though:
austinhomebrew.com
midwestsupplies.com

Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
reaper79
Recipes 

i really like williams home brew kits. You dont have to soak grains or anything and it comes with everything measured out and ready to go all you have to do is pop the yeast and wait 1-2 days. plus they have a ton of different recipes

Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Here's another vote for Austin Homebrew Supplies. Aside from the good service and cheap shipping as previously mentioned, if you're on a budget, there are always some good kits on sale.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper79
i really like williams home brew kits. You dont have to soak grains or anything and it comes with everything measured out and ready to go all you have to do is pop the yeast and wait 1-2 days. plus they have a ton of different recipes
Soaking grains isn't hard at all and is the only way to really replicate a number of delicious beers. I'm not sure why you'd have a stigma against it. If you can make a cup of tea/coffee, you can steep grains at 150ish degrees for 30 minutes.

That said I've used kits from Northern, Midwest, and AHS, and I'd say I prefer Midwest most, because of their proximity to me and great shipping speed/deliveries on saturdays.

Quick Reply