Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where to get Dextrose(Corn Sugar) on Internet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Tigs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to get Dextrose(Corn Sugar) on Internet

Hello everyone. Can someone recommend an online store that sells Dextrose? What brands should I look for and stay away from? I usually try to buy things on Amazon but it seems like Dextrose/corn sugar doesn't exist to many stores. Help is much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Any of the big box online brew stores like Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Supply, you are basically looking for Priming Sugar and it may be labeled as such so you might be missing it that way.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Use table sugar instead from the grocery store or your kitchen. Much cheaper and just as good. I'll never buy corn sugar again.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Tigs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
Use table sugar instead from the grocery store or your kitchen. Much cheaper and just as good. I'll never buy corn sugar again.
I am actually not trying to brew anything. I actually want to use it for baking and making workout drinks. Dextrose or corn sugar is pure glucose. Sucrose is a half fructose half glucose. Fructose in large amounts is not good for you.

The problem I have is most large grocery stores don't sell dextrose and many of the typical online websites sell only small bags that are quite expensive. I didn't realize that people who make their own beers use this stuff and figured you guys would be the best to ask.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Check out Midwest Supply. They'll have it, and they're very reputable.... kinda like Amazon for us nutty home brewers.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Tigs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Any of the big box online brew stores like Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Supply, you are basically looking for Priming Sugar and it may be labeled as such so you might be missing it that way.
Thank you. I will look into those stores. Might even try making beer one of these days.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Alternately, if you have any bulk food stores, they may carry it or be able to order it for you.

I'm very near an amish settlement. I had the local amish store order a 50# bag for me. Cost was $36.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000T3HX3K/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1337957895&sr=8-1

None on amazon?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Tigs
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Draken;4115930]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000T3HX3K/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1337957895&sr=8-1

None on amazon?[/QUOTET]

The price per pound for many bags is ridiculous. There are also some others on there but I don't trust the source. If I get it from one of the stores listed here I will feel better about it and save money.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
I am actually not trying to brew anything. I actually want to use it for baking and making workout drinks. Dextrose or corn sugar is pure glucose. Sucrose is a half fructose half glucose. Fructose in large amounts is not good for you.

The problem I have is most large grocery stores don't sell dextrose and many of the typical online websites sell only small bags that are quite expensive. I didn't realize that people who make their own beers use this stuff and figured you guys would be the best to ask.
Dextrose and glucose are basically different representations of the same sugar. In a jar of corn syrup, what you have is a mixture of both, and some of each is converting to the other all the time.

Are there no restaurant supply stores open to the public in the garden state?

I hear that donut shops prefer to make their glazes with dextrose monohydrate because it provides stability that sucrose can't offer, and a superior, cooling mouth feel.

It might be a good idea to find a local independent bakery or donut shop and see if they know where you can get it, or possibly just sell you some.

Also, fructose consumption is only associated with increased serum lipids and growth of fat nodules in the liver when it is consumed to the exclusion of other sugars. It was believed for some years that fructose was a 'safer' caloric sweetener for diabetics because you need less of it to make things taste very sweet, but it was discovered that there are severe risks associated with consuming fructose as your only source of sugar. Those risks do not exist when it is merely part of a normal diet.

Quick Reply