Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where did we go wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
warriorpoet85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Where did we go wrong?

Hey guys,

Have to toss a batch of beer and after my neighbor and I put a ton of work into this Octoberfest, I want to learn from the experience.

Typical Marzen. Actually it was Bier Muncher's Octoberfast (only change was using Nottingham yeast). Everything during the boiling process and fermentation seemed to go great. Hit our original gravity and final gravity smack dead on. 72% brew house efficiency. Tasted WONDERFUL coming out of the fermenter into the keg (We force carb). Standard cleaning process to the keg (oxy clean soak for a couple of days followed by 6-7 wash outs to where oxy clean can no longer be tasted). Oxyclean soak for two days. Rack to keg the next day. Tastes at one week after tastes great, still carbonating. Taste at two weeks still good. Taste at three weeks and all of a sudden it tastes like a mix between SOUR APPLE and STAR SAN. Changed the line out with a completely new line and it tasted exactly the same.

Yes I sanitized the keg and the lines as described above.

My questions:
(1) Why does a beer taste so good at one and two weeks during force carbing (And directly out of the fermenter) and then turn into this terrible (and unservable) off taste after two and a half weeks?
(2) What are typical causes that lead to these off tastes? If it's an infection of the batch is there something wrong with the way I sanitize?

Thanks for any and all help!

Warriorpoet85

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
warriorpoet85
Recipes 

The second soak i mentioned is with star San. Just a typo.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
jbguzzi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That is odd. I use pbw first and a star san rinse. I have filled kegs on star san foam and had no issues. You clean all the ball lock connectors? You can take them apart, you probably know that.. Sounds like to much AA . Maybe let it condition for a week or two.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

IMHO, people use the word, "infection" too soon.

From what you say, you should be fine. Go back and in your own mind confirm what you have said above.

If you are using clean equipment and you have sanitized everything you should be fine.

You said you hit your numbers. I assume your recipe was properly weighed in, therefore, don't dump this batch yet.

Finish it and let it sit for a bit. Then, in six months make your final decision.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
warriorpoet85
Recipes 

I am still wondering why it tasted so good out of the fermenter and in the keg conditioning for a week or so before becoming sour? If it were just green wouldn't it taste like that from the get go?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I have the same problem with a Dopplebock. when I bottled it, it was really good -- after a 6 month lager. I boiled priming sugar and mixed it in with champagne yeast to ensure good carbing. Six weeks later, it tasted a bit sour -- and still does. I used the same technique for a Wee Heavy, done at the same time, and it tastes flipping fantastic. A real puzzler.

James

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
savannahbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How much had you drank out of the keg? I have had similar experiences (not the same taste per se) towards the bottom of the keg i have had a beer change flavors very quickly. I am not referring to the last two or three pints either. I am curious to hear others responses!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
jbguzzi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

There are services where you can send the brew and have it analyzed. Maybe that can yield a clue. I think white lab dies it.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
shaigl
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

what happens in commercial beers is: once you started drinking a kag you have a certain period of time, depending on the beer itself, that you have to finish it before it will go bad.
that time period can go from 3 days to couple of weeks, again, depending on the beer and its type. (i dont know which type holds for how long).

im guessing it depends on how much you drank from the keg and all that. personnaly i use bottles

Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaigl View Post
what happens in commercial beers is: once you started drinking a kag you have a certain period of time, depending on the beer itself, that you have to finish it before it will go bad.
that time period can go from 3 days to couple of weeks, again, depending on the beer and its type. (i dont know which type holds for how long).

im guessing it depends on how much you drank from the keg and all that. personnaly i use bottles
That's only true because of the airpumps commonly used in commercial kegs, like for parties. If you use CO2, oxygenation isn't an issue, and kegs don't go bad.

Quick Reply