Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to transfer from primary to secondary

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

that's definetely a krausen. the krausen really isn't a good indicator, either. the only way to know for sure is with a hydrometer, and even that will only tell you when it's done with it's primary fermentation, NOT when the yeasts are done cleaning up after themselves.

Whenever in doubt, leave it an addtional week, i say. I've found the longer i leave my beers in the carboys, the better they usually turn out!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I don't bother with a hydrometer reading, but I leave my brews for two or more weeks in the primary. When the kegs are empty from the last batch, everything moves up. I haven't had an unfinished batch yet but the theory is that if it hasn't finished after two or three weeks, it's stuck. The act of transferring should cause it to fire up again. I don't keg until about 5 - 6 weeks in.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply