Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When is it time to move on to mini mash from extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
justin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When is it time to move on to mini mash from extract?

Brewed three beers extract, Feel comfortable with the process. When is it safe to move to mini mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The correct answer is there is no correct answer. Some guys stay brewing extract beers forever. Some take the next step to minimash sooner than others. Some skip it altogether and go straight to all grain. As long as you're comfortable with the process, feel free to take that next step. Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would skip the mini-mash and go straight to all-grain. Since you will be mashing grain for a partial amount of the sugar you need for the beer, you might as well mash the entire amount needed. You will be using for the most part the same equipment.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

Old 06-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

I moved to partial mash's after 3 extracts. It is a nice step up toward AG without a whole lot of investment in new equipment. Just $20-30 for a 2,3 gallon cooler or nothing if you use Deathbrewer's two pot method.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbird View Post
I would skip the mini-mash and go straight to all-grain. Since you will be mashing grain for a partial amount of the sugar you need for the beer, you might as well mash the entire amount needed. You will be using for the most part the same equipment.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1
I think doing a partial mash is a nice way to get used to the mash process without having to spend time/money on new equipment. Additionally, you're less likely to be too far off your target OG if something goes wrong with the mash, since there's still a fair chunk of fermentables coming from the extract. That alone makes it a nice, unintimidating stepping stone. Finally, a partial mash can be done with ease on a stovetop.

In sum, do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you feel like going straight to all-grain, go for it. If not, give partial mashing a try. And definitely consider DeathBrewer's method. Works great.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

If you want to do mini mash, go for it. I did about 3 then went to all grain.

All grain is easier then I thought. I do it in an apartment with two pots to boil in. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbird View Post
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1
I have to agree with this. I went from Extract brewing for over a year to 2 batches of a mini-mash. Soon as the first one was done I built a MLT and used it for my 2nd mini-mash. I've done to AG since then.

The time it takes the steps needed is the same for a mini-mash as an AG so might as well go all the way.

Doing a mini-mash does take some of the apprehension away as adding extract is something in the comfort zone so take that into consideration.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is it safe?

I moved to mini-mashes after exactly one extract brew. I did my first all-grain after over a dozen mini-mashes.

No one can tell you when it's time to change. It's what you want to do and what you feel comfortable with.

Some have given the advice to go directly to all-grain. I can't argue with that, but I do feel I benefited from doing mini-mashes first. You're working with a much smaller amount of grain, so efficiency isn't as critical. You can hone your process and see how you like it.

-Joe

Old 06-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6133 Times on 5343 Posts
Likes Given: 745

do whatever your gear and space will allow you to do - the process is pretty much the same between AG and mini-mash.

It's not like stepping up from apprentice to Jedi Master....we're all just making beer. have fun with it and take it to what ever level you want!

I was totally satisfied taste-wise with my extract + specialty grain beers, but I just love the concepts and process so much that I really enjoy the 5-6 hours it takes to do an AG batch.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2715 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I did I think 3 extract batches (after a couple years of wanting to brew but not taking the plunge) then went straight to all grain, haven't looked back.

Basically - you're ready when you feel you are. Some never move past extract, some go straight to all grain.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Quick Reply