Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > when to start yeast starters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
drunde77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when to start yeast starters

I am planning on doing a yeast starter for my next brew. It is a boston lager. When would you start a yeast starter for a lager? I plan on brewing saturday. Also do you do the same for ales?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

In general, it takes about 2-3 days for the starter to finish growing yeast cells. Lager starters might take an extra day or so. Determining when to start depends on your starter process. Are you planning to pitch the entire starter or are you decanting? If you're decanting, are you going to crash cool prior to decanting? If you're cooling your starter so you can decant the majority of the starter wort, I'd add an extra day or two to the process. If you're doing a multiple step starter, that will also increase the time you'll need.

For my last lager, I cooled the starter for 2 days to settle the yeast, I then decanted almost all the wort, gave the remaining wort a good swirl to get the yeast off the bottom of the starter vessel and pitched.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
In general, it takes about 2-3 days for the starter to finish growing yeast cells. Lager starters might take an extra day or so. Determining when to start depends on your starter process. Are you planning to pitch the entire starter or are you decanting? If you're decanting, are you going to crash cool prior to decanting? If you're cooling your starter so you can decant the majority of the starter wort, I'd add an extra day or two to the process. If you're doing a multiple step starter, that will also increase the time you'll need.

For my last lager, I cooled the starter for 2 days to settle the yeast, I then decanted almost all the wort, gave the remaining wort a good swirl to get the yeast off the bottom of the starter vessel and pitched.
+1. Give yourself plenty of time. A day or two in the fridge isn't going to hurt anything. I like to start a week ahead of time just to make sure my yeast are all set and I don't have any issues or last minute emergencies.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I there any negative to pitch the entire starter?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If it were a 1liter ale starter id pitch the whole thing. Since this is for a lager youlll need a ton of yeast so youll want to chill a day after your first starter decant the liquid and do another starter. Decant the liquid from that and pitch, So i'd start today. The process takes the better part of a week.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Agreed, today is a good day to start. Check out yeastcalc.com, it's a great site for stepped starters.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Agreed, today is a good day to start. Just out yeastcalc.com, it's a great site for stepped starters.
+1
Go to http://www.yeastcalc.com, plug in all the numbers as you will probably need a couple step ups for a lager.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Depending on the temp you grow your starter at (most do it at room temp), the yeast may throw some nasty esters and things into the starter wort. One negative would be potentially pitching those nasty flavors. That being said, many do it that way.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo
Have a little taste of it and you decide.

A week is a good lead for a lager started, you definitely want to crash for a good day or even two.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
ScrewedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just made my first starter yesterday. I swirl it everytime I walk by it. If it sits for about an hour, it looks like all the yeast is already on the bottom. Wouldn't a cold crash put them to sleep or stress them? I was planning on decanting the spent wort without a cold crash "stress" cycle.

Quick Reply