Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When should your beer read at its FSG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
justin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When should your beer read at its FSG

At what point should your beer be at its Final specific gravity. My belgian pale ale is at its listed final specific gravity at day 6 of fermenting. I was thinking about moving it to a secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When it's finished.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but it's the truth, its done when its done. Some take longer than others

kingogames Likes This 
Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
justin22
Recipes 

So as of now my beer is done, is what your saying. So basically I should move it into the secondary to clear it and drink when its clear enough for my liking. ???

Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You should take gravity readings on 3 consecutive days, if you get the same reading 3 days in a row, it is finished. At that point, I would proceed to transfer to a secondary bright tank. I personally like to leave mine on the cake for at least 3-4 more days after fermentation is finished, lets the yeast clean up diacatyl (sp?) and what not.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on leaving it in the primary. I wouldn't even mess with a secondary. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and bottle. Just my 2 cents worth though....

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with these guys, leave it in the primary.
I use irish moss when I want a clear beer rather than secondary.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 06-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
justin22
Recipes 

Well should I leave a Dark ale in the primary also?

Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Many of us leave all our beer in primary for 3-4 weeks, skip secondary and bottle...for many of us the only time we secondary is if we are dry hopping or adding fruit, or oak...or if we have made a beer like a pumpkin whith a huge amount of trub in primary..but for most of our beers we just leave it and let the yeasties clean up after themselves...

Even palmer mentions it in How to brew....

From How To Brew;

Quote:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.
And this...

Quote:

....As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.
This get's discussed almost daily, there are plenty of threads on it...you could do a search for "long primary" or "no secondary" for more of the discussions, or just look at all the threads in the beginners section with the words "should I rack" or "how long in primary" and you'll see all our answers...we've kind of hashed and discussed it to death, and cited reasons whay we do...you you will find and abundance of info on the topic...but ultiamtely you'll have to make up your own mind.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got sold on the (extra) long-primary back in April when work deadlines were approaching and I didn't have time to bottle. That beer spent 7 weeks in the primary. It was so tasty that I almost didn't make it through bottling, since I was pulling too many samples!

Since then, I'm sold on extra-long primary -- The beer is tasty and ready in bottles much sooner...

Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
frankos
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Being new to this game I really appreciate all the information contained in these posts. Thanks to everyone.

Quick Reply