Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When should i take my first reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
jonnyp1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default When should i take my first reading?

It's day 5 soon to be 6 my IPA went into primary it still bubbles once every min. When should I start taking my readings? I'm racking into a secondary once my fg is met. (dry hopping whole leaf)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
1KD1
Recipes 

Technically, you could take one now. Everybody has different opinions but the Idea is to get three readings that show no change.

I am still new to this so I let mine sit in the primary for at least 2-3 weeks before bothering it.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You can dry hop right in the primary and avoid racking. You can take a reading now, but it will be more crucial when you bottle or keg. Like the previous poster said, consistent readings over several days.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN
You can dry hop right in the primary and avoid racking. You can take a reading now, but it will be more crucial when you bottle or keg. Like the previous poster said, consistent readings over several days.
I'm bottling and was hoping that syphoning would cut the excess of sediment down to a minimum. Thoughts.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I transferred to 2nd on my 1st dry-hop, and lost a ton of volume between the 2 trubs. It did end up nice and clear, but don't think I ended up with much less sediment by transferring it. Next time I will just save myself the time & effort and do what PigMan said.

Also depends on how good you are at siphoning. I did it because I was new and figured that would give me a 2nd shot at not cramming my auto siphon into my trub.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyp1980 View Post
I'm bottling and was hoping that syphoning would cut the excess of sediment down to a minimum. Thoughts.
The sediment will settle into a cake in primary as well. By leaving it in primary, you avoid potential oxidation and sanitation issues. On the other hand, plenty of people rack to secondary with good results. I just never saw the need to.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Don't move it to a bright tank (2ndary vessel) until it is at or near FG; it is still actively fermenting by your description-- so you are wasting beer and time by checking gravity now. Come back in 3-5 days and look to move it then.
edit: if you don't want to transfer, then it needs to sit for 2-3 weeks to get all yeast to drop out. ymmv

Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
wherestheyeast
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My second beer was an IPA that I racked to secondary after 2 1/2 weeks. I dry hopped in secondary for about 10 days. Its been bottle conditioning for 3+ weeks and has a strong soapy flavor. My LHBS (which also runs a nice brew pub) says that the soap flavor was due to a combination of soft water and length of time dry hopping. The brewer that I talked to suggested 3-4 days tops for dry hop and using gypsum in the boil.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Quote:

The sediment will settle into a cake in primary as well. By leaving it in primary, you avoid potential oxidation and sanitation issues. On the other hand, plenty of people rack to secondary with good results. I just never saw the need to.
Oxidizing was one of my worries. But if you have to open and take a reading x 2 or 3 and people have no issues I can't see why syphoning into a secondary would harm it. Unless you agitate it during the process??

Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Quote:

Makes sense. Tried gathering enough info and majority states secondary for additions and a clearer beer. I from my own conclusions that syphoning from primary to secondary equals less sediment then to bottling would cut down even more. Also. My FG. Do I take before sugar or after?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS