The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to refridgerate after bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Bob869007
Mmmmm Beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default When to refridgerate after bottling?

I have a five gallon batch of Cooper's Dark Ale that I had in the primary for 10 days. It was in the secondary for 2 weeks. I bottled it up a week ago. I refridgerated one today. It had plenty of carbonation but it needed some more conditioning time. Should I let it sit at room temp longer or should it go into the fridge now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'd leave your bottles at room temperature, and just chill them a few days before you want to serve/drink them.

In fact, take a few six packs and hide them way in the back of a cabinet somewhere. Do your best to forget they are even there...you'll be very pleased when you come across them six months later!

My beer continually improves with age, the last one from the keg always seems to be the best one.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

lemon is spot on, I agree 100% allow at least 3 weeks in the bottle at room temps. When you decide you want to drink a few put them in the fridge, and leave the rest in the cabinet. I make a habit of hiding them in the closet and forget about them.
When it comes time to clean out the closet

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My rule is 3 weeks at room temp, then I chill one for 2 days and test it. usually its perfect.

also, some beers should be drank 'young'. very light, delicate beers, like wits and kolsch don't really improve much with months of aging. That's the little exception to the rule. beyond that, I totally agree with lemon too...most beers do better after a solid month of aging, AFTER bottle carbonation has been achieved.

and a beer that's been oaked...give it 4 months for the oaky bite to subside.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply