Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to rack to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
FlashRedGLS18T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
In any case, don't worry too much man. Unless you really screwed up (like dumping hamburger in your primary or something) you are fine to leave it in your primary.

- Noleaf
Haha. Good stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I've just never left it in the primary. Fifteen years of brewing and when I started with Charlie's book, it just said to rack to a secondary and I did and have every since, lol.

I figure if it's not broke, don't fix it. Over those years I can say that I've only had possibly 2 batches that have had something wrong with them, bacteria wise.

I've read studies over the years that said that sitting on yeast too long imparts off flavors to the beer. And then I've also read about plenty of people like in this thread who have good luck with it. So ... I guess, do it one time and if it works for you with, relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

cheers

~r~

Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sometimes do a secondary, but not always. For an average beer, I'll do 1.5-2 weeks primary and 2-3 weeks secondary.

I find it's a good way to age the beer off of the yeast cake, and it reduces the amount of sediment in my final product so I end up with a clearer product. The aging is less important if you have a lower gravity beer.

That being said, I've also bottled directly after primary (after checking with the hydrometer) and it turned out just fine.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good read so far here. I am still on the fence as well. I have racked to secondary on some and gone straight to bottles on others. My last two batches, one was racked to the bottles after four weeks on the primary and the other, a Holiday Ale with a spice pack set five weeks in the primary and then transferred for two weeks in a secondary. THen I'll bottle it and let it set for Christmas presents.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Quick Reply