Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to rack primary to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
HomerT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default When to rack primary to secondary?

Well, as this is my first brew, I have a question. I made the wort and pitched the yeast around noon on monday. Tuesday was a furious bubble. Wednesday was a slow bubble. This monring, I checked and saw no bubbling in ~1min, so it has slowed significantly. Here is the dilema:

Tomorrow I leave for the weekend for a wedding. SHould I rack to the secondary tonight, since bubbling has slowed? Or do I wait until Sunday night when I return?

-Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

leave till sunday. about a week in primary, 2 in secondary is the recommended dose.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, anytime after the krausen has setteled to the bottom. I've got a batch in the primary right now that won't be ready in 1 week. I started at 1.073 OG last Saturday and She's still got 4" of krausen on top right now with millions of yeast working below.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 09-30-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

If you have a hydrometer that's a good way to test. The bubbling method also works. You shouldn't ever rack the beer to secondary until the krausen has fallen. Basically, I'd say right now is fine as long as there's no krausen (foamy yeast cake) on the surface. In the past I typically racked as soon as the bubbling slowed.. I've never relied on my hydrometer. However, today I went home for the weekend and elected to leave the beer in the primary for what will be a full 8 days rather than rack it before I left after only 4.5 days. I think it's personal choice.. you'll be fine either way.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I elected to leave it. However, how do you check the Krausen in a plastic primary? Plry back the lid to check?

-Todd

Old 09-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It'd be better just to pull the airlock and look down thru the hole.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, last night I got home and racked it to the secondary. Everyting went fine, except I left a little in the primary because I couldn't get the autosiphon to keep pulling without getting "down in muck". I figured I would rather lose a little in the name of clarity. Everything is in the carboy secondary (with about 6 inches of air-space before at the top. I got a little fermentation again, as the airlock was bubbling about once a minute this morning. Specific gravity matched the final for the recipe, so things are moving smoothly.

On a side note, the autosiphon was a tricky tool. It took several pumps to get it going correctly. That will take a while to get used to.

-Todd

Old 10-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
SuperBrew
Recipes 

You're right to leave a little behind rather than suck up some of that trub. It's always better to sacrifice a little quantity to improve your brews quality.

Bottled: Cottage Coffee Stout
Bottled: SuperBrew's Redheaded Stepchild
Bottled: Gingerbread Ale
Drinking: Most anything
Thinking of: Apricot IPA

Old 10-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
gibfried

Recipes 

Hey SuperBrew,

Is that a real quote from Benjamin Franklin (your signature)? I saw that on a tee-shirt at the local microbrew/pub. Almost bought it too. The only difference - it didn't say Ben Franklin.

Back to the topic at hand. You should be able to keep your brew in the primary for a good two weeks, and a month at the max. I usually don't, but I was forced to when the Philipino Doctor sliced me open and pulled out what looked like a sick gopher. After surgery I was pretty puny for a while , so I let it sit in the primary for a good month. That beer was still the best one to date. I hope to top it soon though.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibfried
Hey SuperBrew,

Is that a real quote from Benjamin Franklin (your signature)? I saw that on a tee-shirt at the local microbrew/pub. Almost bought it too. The only difference - it didn't say Ben Franklin.

Back to the topic at hand. You should be able to keep your brew in the primary for a good two weeks, and a month at the max. I usually don't, but I was forced to when the Philipino Doctor sliced me open and pulled out what looked like a sick gopher. After surgery I was pretty puny for a while , so I let it sit in the primary for a good month. That beer was still the best one to date. I hope to top it soon though.
Regarding the quote, it is attributed to him (http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/986), although I'm unsure as to the source.

Good to hear things are going smoothly for your, Todd

Quick Reply