Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to pitch rehydrated dry yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
atakanokan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default When to pitch rehydrated dry yeast?

So I have re-hydrated 2 packets of dry yeast. I have put 1 cup of boiled water at 35 degrees Celsius into a sanitized jar and added the yeast. Covered it with film and after 15 minutes added 1 tablespoon of sugar that was boiled in a small amount of water. After 30 minutes there is foaming happening in the jar.
My question is when do I pitch this rehydrated yeast to my wort waiting in the fermenting bucket? Is it ok to pitch it now? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 784 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Now. It really only needs 10 minutes or so to rehydrate. Your yeast should be good and happy now. Go ahead and pitch 'er in.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

You should always add some cooled wort a little at a time to the rehydrated yeast to bring the temp down to within 10 degrees of wort temp. Otherwise,the yeast will shock from the temp differential & take longer to get going.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
JDGator
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i wouldn't even bother re-hydrating dry yeast. all my batches have been 1.060 or less and not had any problems with 04 or 05 yeast.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
atakanokan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You should always add some cooled wort a little at a time to the rehydrated yeast to bring the temp down to within 10 degrees of wort temp. Otherwise,the yeast will shock from the temp differential & take longer to get going.
Can I overcome this problem without adding cooled wort but instead cooling it with ice packs or fridge maybe?

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
atakanokan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGator View Post
i wouldn't even bother re-hydrating dry yeast. all my batches have been 1.060 or less and not had any problems with 04 or 05 yeast.
The thing is I am using standard yeast from a cooking shop. I don't know how it is going to turn out but it is saccharomyces cerevisiae (ale yeast) so it should not turn out that bad.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 694 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGator View Post
Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean it couldn't be better.

You're underpitching. A 5 gallon batch of 1.060 ale requires 240 billion yeast cells. One packet of dry yeast contains 100 billion cells. If you pitch it without rehydrating, roughly 50% of the cells do not survive.

So you're pitching 50 billion cells when 240 billion would be optimal. You're only pitching about 20% of the yeast you should be pitching.

This comes from the book "Yeast," by White and Zainasheff.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

Standard baking yeast is not ale yeast. Just use some cooled wort out of the fermenter a little at a time to bring the temp down. A properly used start will cut lag time (reproductive phase) & visible fermentation will start sooner.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I would stick to beer yeast for beer and wine yeast for wine. About the only thing I'd use standard bread making yeast for is Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, b/c the recipe was developed with it to match a certain profile.

Why go through all of the work to brew and try to save $3 or 4 for dry ale yeast? Should be okay for this batch, but maybe consider changing from here on out.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 694 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
My rehydrated yeast is already close to the wort temperature. I chill my wort to 65° F, and I rehydrate my yeast with tap water that is around 65-70° F. No need to introduce them to wort prematurely.

Also, you shouldn't add sugar to your rehydrating yeast. They need to be in maltose-munching mode. If you give them cane sugar or beet sugar or corn sugar or anything else, you're selecting for yeast that are not necessarily the best wort-munchers.

Just rehydrate an appropriate quantity for 20 minutes in plain, room-temperature tap water.

Quick Reply