Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to move to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
brew4allMI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default When to move to secondary

Hey brewers,

I brewed an IPA 7 days ago, fermenting has nearly stopped in primary. I know it has been 7 days and many say the rest of the days after are for clearing and fementation is minimal. Should I be ok to rack beer into secondary for Dry hopping. (1 oz cascade, .5 oz simcoe) for 7 days or should I wait until the 10th - 14th in primary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew4allMI View Post
Hey brewers,

I brewed an IPA 7 days ago, fermenting has nearly stopped in primary. I know it has been 7 days and many say the rest of the days after are for clearing and fementation is minimal. Should I be ok to rack beer into secondary for Dry hopping. (1 oz cascade, .5 oz simcoe) for 7 days or should I wait until the 10th - 14th in primary?
The only way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading. If you have consistent numbers 2-3 days apart then you can transfer to secondary. I normally leave in primary for 2-3 weeks then rack.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I always dry hop in primary and have never had an issue. Let it ferment for a week, add hops and let sit for another week or so.

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Berliner Weisse, English Brown Ale, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee, Apfelwein

Coming Soon Double Chocolate Stout, Mojave Red

BackDraught Home Brewery
Follow on Twitter @backdraughtbrew
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com

Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
brew4allMI
Recipes 

Thanks for the info guys. Just pretty thirsty but want the beer to turn out well. Never heard of dry hopping in Primary... never had any issues with fermentation?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 6

most of us get into the habit of leaving the beer alone for 2 weeks in the primary....I try to brew on a weekend day and two weeks later put it in the bottle or secondary, depending on the beer. Some guys use secondaries and some do not we all have our personal reasons why we do whatever...do what works for you. Just make sure you are done fermenting in primary before you do a damn thing.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
brew4allMI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
most of us get into the habit of leaving the beer alone for 2 weeks in the primary....I try to brew on a weekend day and two weeks later put it in the bottle or secondary, depending on the beer. Some guys use secondaries and some do not we all have our personal reasons why we do whatever...do what works for you. Just make sure you are done fermenting in primary before you do a damn thing.
i agree with doing what works for you. I have brewed a similar IPA but was patient with 2 week primary 5 day secondary dry hop. What are the best ways to test gravity without contamination. I do have a flask and a baster that I sanitize with a dilution of iodine and use to test my OG... I just fear contamination.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Just pretty thirsty but want the beer to turn out well. Never heard of dry hopping in Primary... never had any issues with fermentation?
No, fermentation is usually complete or almost complete after a week...most of the time. Search for dry hopping in primary and you'll find a lot of information

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Berliner Weisse, English Brown Ale, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee, Apfelwein

Coming Soon Double Chocolate Stout, Mojave Red

BackDraught Home Brewery
Follow on Twitter @backdraughtbrew
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com

Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
KGB09
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

i agree with doing what works for you. I have brewed a similar IPA but was patient with 2 week primary 5 day secondary dry hop. What are the best ways to test gravity without contamination. I do have a flask and a baster that I sanitize with a dilution of iodine and use to test my OG... I just fear contamination.
In my opinion, when your beer is showing signs that it is done fermenting(no bubbles in the airlock) the alcohol should be high enough to kill most things that would cause an infection. I'm not saying don't be carefull, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
dunejunkie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I let all my beer sit for at least 2 weeks in primary. From what I have found its almost guaranteed fermentation is done ( check your gravity to be sure ). it also lets more yeast settle out of suspension, less yeast entering the secondary means leas of a chance of getting any off or odd flavors from them.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you choose to use a secondary, transfer once you have reached stable final gravity. You're not wrong in using a secondary; I did so for my first 8-10 beers and they turned out just fine. A common practice is that unless you are going to mix adjunct ingredients with your brew, to use a "primary only" practice. If it's a lower gravity beer I go two weeks, and if it's a bigger gravity beer I go 3 weeks (regardless, still use a hydrometer for confirmation). I've gone to this, and it's one less transfer to deal with, and the final product is still crystal clear. I was out of town for training, and I have a Bohemian Lager that will have been in the primary for 5 weeks by the time I keg it this Thursday, and as of a week ago I could read a newspaper through it, and detected no off flavors. Not trying to talk you out of a secondary, just giving you options.

Quick Reply