Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to move to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
ilv4xn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default When to move to secondary?

I made my very first batch of beer on Saturady. Its an all grain oatmeal stout. initial SG at time of yeast pitch was 1.05 after as of last night it was 1.01 I had to take the lid off for a little clean up. figured I would take a SG reading and get a taste sample while I was at it. So far the airlock has not moved at all today. I can only assume primary fermentation is finished. I will have time to move to a secondary five days from today. My question if when I move to a secondary. should I put it in a carboy for a week or two or can I put it in a corny and put it in the fridge for a week or two?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I go to secondary after 7 days normally without taking a gravity reading. I feel comfortable that I've done it enough times to know roughly when its needed. I go into a plastic bucket, and have no idea about kegs. Also, 1.010 is as low as your gonna get. I think you should move it over.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You do know that there's no actual NEED for you to rack to a second vessel, right?? Just give it more time in primary and you'll get great results. Plus you remove an unnecessary racking and don't expose the brew to additional risks of oxidation, infection and contamjnation.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

After the beer has hit FG, the yeast may still have more work to do cleaning up their mess. If the fermentation temp was too high, for example, or there was not enough yeast pitched, so they were stressed out.

This cleaning process is better done when there is more yeast (rather than less- like when you move it to secondary). I would let it ride a total of 2 or so weeks in primary, taste it and if OK, then keg it up. Once kegged, I put it in fridge overnight-- presuming there is room- otherwise it sits on the side ("on deck").
Once beer is at fridge temps, then I add C02 to carb at 12psi, and try to wait 5-7 days before tasting. I will take more time to fully carb but I get impatient.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I second Golddiggie. Unless you plan on adding fruit or something to your fermentation, there really is no reason to use a secondary, especially for ales. 3 weeks and you're good to go. I've left some as long as 5 though I prefer not to.
May I ask why you want to rack to a secondary?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

With an OG of 1.050, three weeks should be plenty of time for the yeast to have cleaned up after themselves, flavors to become even better, and the yeast to flocculate out (to the bottom of the fermenter). Of course, that last part depends on which yeast you used and it's flocculation rating. I use liquid yeast that's rated high, or above. I also do more to help the yeast to do it's job and give me something great. Things that are pretty easy to do once you think about it. Such as giving the yeast enough oxygen (you do this before pitching the yeast) via a pure O2 infusion system. Adding nutrient to the boil. Making a yeast starter (on a stirplate) so that closer to the proper amount of viable yeast cells are pitched.

All those things go a long way towards giving you a great brew time and again. Of course, I also give my batches at least three weeks in primary. I've gone up to 8 weeks in primary for bigger (higher OG) batches of beer.

The ONLY time I'll rack to another vessel is to age it on/with something that does a better job off of the yeast. Things like oak (and other toasted woods), vanilla beans, and such. Just racking because some instruction sheet said to, or the yackoff at the LHBS (who's using 20+ year out of date methods) said to doesn't fly with me. Especially when I get great, clear, brew time and again by NOT racking except when it makes complete sense to. IMO/IME, doing it as a blanket process just isn't wise, or needed.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You do know that there's no actual NEED for you to rack to a second vessel, right?? .
There is no NEED to leave it in the primary until bottling.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
What????

It makes FAR more sense to leave it in primary until it's ready to go to bottle, or keg, than to rack it to another vessel and then rack again to either bottling bucket or keg. Each time you rack you open it up to contamination, oxidation and infection risks... IMO seriously not worth doing.

People that rack too soon, or to another vessel thinking they'll get the brew to clear, are also [very often] those same people that post up asking about how to clear via cold crashing, or complain about how their brew tastes like wet cardboard now. Or how it got infected and now bottles are blowing all over the place. Seriously, use the KISS principle unless the batch has another flavor element to be added that works BEST off of/away from the yeast. That's a short list of items too.

Besides, it's only a secondary fermentation IF you add more sugars, or something that will eat the remaining sugars that your yeast could not.

BTW, the vast majority of brews made with ale yeast do just fine with an extended primary.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Quote:
You do know that there's no actual NEED for you to rack to a second vessel, right??
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
Well, IMO both of these statements are wrong.

. . . but Golddiggie did make up for it with this.
Quote:
IMO/IME, doing it as a blanket process just isn't wise, or needed.

Oh . . . and fixed this for you.
Quote:
BTW, the vast majority of brews made with ale yeast do just fine with an extended primary, but with good technique it's not necessary.

yeah, tomorrows a holiday, i be ing

Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

AnOldUR, my original statement was referencing the OP's batch... For a stout, you don't need to rack to another vessel. You can get just as good (if not better) results by leaving it in primary until going to bottle/keg.

Since he's going to keg, transferring from primary to keg is a better choice, IMO. Just make sure to rack clean and you'll be fine.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply