Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When I have some free time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
IllusionOfTime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When I have some free time

Sooooo....

I brewed my first beer this weekend. I really wasn't planning on it, but I had to go to the store to get some bottles for some hard cider, and got sidetracked so I ended up spending waaaay to much money on stuff. ha ha ha, I suppose that's how it always starts. Go big or go home i guess... I've been lurking here for a while, and I had had the intention of getting a kettle large enough for the entire boil, and all the conviences of the spigot and such, but instant gratification took over when I was there and I spent waaaay too much on a kettle that will surely be outgrown given the fun we had during this process, plus I'm jealous of everything everyone else has...ha ha ha.

So, I started with an IPA. It was a malt extract kit, but I did have to steep, so that was cool... Initial SG was 1.054, I'm not sure where that lands as far as in the range or not because, like I said, this is the first. It seems a bit low compared to some of the other readings that people here post, so it might not have a super high content, but just because I made it, it's gonna be great. I think it all went fairly well. No boilover, managed to get the partial wort & the water to a good temperature before pitching, and got a SG that seems fairly normal. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Your gravity is on the low end for an IPA but that doesn't mean you won't make beer! Welcome to the addiction.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Is it an English IPA or an American? If it is the former you are within range, the latter, a couple points low, but no big deal. Here is a good resource for understanding styles of beer. http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

How big of a kettle did you get? Sounds like you are on your way.

Welcome and have fun!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
IllusionOfTime
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero
How big of a kettle did you get?
I ended up getting a 20qt. Probably why I didn't have a boil over because there was substantial room left during the boil.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
IllusionOfTime
Recipes 

Well, I started fermentation last sunday, then promptly left for the Derby on Wed morning at which time I removed the overflow tube and put in the airlock. It's been sitting perfectly still since then. Probably going to wait untill this weekend and go ahead and go right to bottling. Haven't checked the SG yet but I'll start taking samples tomorrow and every day till probably saturday to make sure it's done.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

glad you jumped in.

From what I gather you did a partial boil and topped with water . If that being the case you may have gotten a lower reading if the wort and water werent fully mixed. You will still get beer either way

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
IllusionOfTime
Recipes 

oooooooooh......didn't even think of that... You are corrrect, that I did a partial boil and did mix. Even though I may not have mixed as well as I should have, the fermentables were still in the carboy so I should still be good...?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

no worries - the yeast will find their food. The mixing issue mostly messes up your hydro reading.

Quick Reply