Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to drink

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
DMTnew2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to drink

How long after I put my beer into a keg do I need to wait to start drinkin?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
rhoop
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

How long did you age it before? It will be carbonated in about three days of that's what your asking, but if you didn't age it before, the beer might be a little green...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Depends on how you pressurize the keg. I prefer the set and forget type method where you set the CO2 to serving pressure and let it sit for about a week. I've tried other methods and you might sneak ahead a day or two, but in my experience, for the best results and ensure you don't overcarb the beer, I just set it and wait a week.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I say drink a little every day to see how the carbonation levels and flavor changes over time. It'll be educational and you'll learn your system better, and you'll get to decide when it tastes best for future reference. LIke others said, it you just set the regulator at serving pressure it wont be fully carbed for about a week. I find that the beer flavor changes a bit over the next week as well so they are usually best after a couple weeks. but certainly drinkable before that.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
DMTnew2brew
Recipes 

I intend to set it to serving pressure, but I should wait a week before I start drinking if I'm understanding correctly

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Giving it a week at serving pressure ensures that the CO2 is absorbed throughout the beer evenly, but I like zeekage's idea too. Try it after a day or two and keep trying and see how it changes. I've done this on many batches mostly because I am eager to drink my new batch. After a day or so at serving pressure it will have a lot of head, but not a lot of CO2 in the beer itself, and as time goes in it will become more saturated into the beer. I have enough of a pipeline now where I just hook it up, forget about it for a week, and by the time I'm ready to drink the new batch, its ready.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If its a weekend and I'm out of town I'll start around 1PM typically though I usually start drinking after 6PM.

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

It usually carbs up in a few days, with the "full" carbonation in about 10 days or so.

You can drink it anytime, but it's better when it's carbed up!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
DMTnew2brew
Recipes 

So if I'm understanding correctly, that additional time required when you bottle, is not required when you keg? So once fermentation and everything is done and I put it in the keg, once it's cold an carbed I can drink it ....right? This is my first batch so I guess I'm more than a little anxious to try it, and perhaps I may have been a bit over ambitious when selecting a black IPA for my first batch lol

Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The time required when bottling is needed for the yeast to eat up the priming sugar and produce the co2 needed to force carbonate the bottles.

When kegging the yeast step is skipped and you're just forcing co2 into solution directly so yeah it can be quicker. Really depends how you do it. And who says you "can't" drink your beer till a certain time. It's your beer! Drink it whenever you want! At least sample from the keg regularly when it's carbonating so that you learn more how the flavor changes and meld as time goes on. You'll also learn how long it takes to carbonate fully if you sample often!

Quick Reply