Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When doing partial boil, does amount matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
cwb124
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default When doing partial boil, does amount matter?

Curious if it matters if doing a partial boil, you boil say 2 gallons or 4 gallsons, will the end result be any different? If so, why? At the end the day, you hope to ferment ~5 gallons, so I don't get how boiled amount would matter at all, no matter what you boil, it will be dilluted to 5 gals right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It does matter. Smaller amount boiled will lead to more carmelization of the extract and a darker color. Even more important than that, with smaller boil you'll get less bittering from your hops because of the higher gravity.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Imagine trying to fit 6lbs of malt into 2 gallons of water and boiling for an hour, you would pretty much be back to LME but a lot more carmelized.

Hops won't be utilized nearly as well like Iowa said.

Check out on of the brew programs to see what the difference REALLY is. I use brewsmith and they have a free trial so you can check it out, works great for me.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The two above hit it on the head. You can still make good beers from partial boils (I often only boil 1.5g), but it is difficult to get a light color without late extract additions. Further, you can only get the beer so bitter with such a small boil. You can make up for lower hop utilizations by increasing amount of hops or length or boil (or doing a late addition with only hops in water for the first 30 minutes). On hop utilization though, ultimately there is a maximum (I believe 90IBU soluable into a solution for a 5% beer) limit; thus once diluted you would be decreasing that(i.e. 90IBU max in 1.5g dilutes to 27IBU in 5g). You can make up for this by brewing the recipe in 1.5-2g and brewing a hop tea with another 1.5-3.5g (i.e. hop just water...). I'll post a link to a post on this last subject.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23308

Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In short, a full boil is the way to go, however good beer can be made (just not as easily) from 1.5g boils...

Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Look up hop utilisation.

Quick Reply