Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When do you stop tipping the bottle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #21
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phug View Post
gonna have to try feeding my dogs some trub and see how that goes over.
Not if it has hops in it! Hops + dogs= hops are poisonous to them, from what I have read!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #22
DarthCitra
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
Your digestive system adjusts to it over time. Kinda like switching to a high fiber diet is rough for a few days but then things kinda "smooth out".
How long is "over time"?! ive been drinking craft beer consistently for about a year and brewing for 4 months. Still explosive as day one!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #23
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthCitra View Post
How long is "over time"?! ive been drinking craft beer consistently for about a year and brewing for 4 months. Still explosive as day one!
I think it was over 6 months for me, but there are a ton of variables here, so who knows.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #24
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthCitra View Post
Sorry to sound like a 'catch 21', but if yeast gives you gas, that is an indication your digestion will benefit by eating yeast. The b complex in yeast improves digestion, until that point, yeast gets into the intestinal track and boom. Have read there are some folks that always have trouble with live yeast and it's ability to ferment in the intestinal track can be dangerous!
I have always eaten the health food variety debittered yeast like candy. Love the taste, but had to build up to it.
Rambling, sorry! Short of it, 2 reasons for getting bloating from yeast, 1-inability to digest, improves with time, gas caused by intestinal bugs eating the yeast. Eating yogurt helps to set up the friendly intestinal bugs, and 2- inability to handle live yeast, yeast ferments in your intestines(BAD). In the beginning, everyone has the issue with both reason 1 and 2. Some never get used to tolerating live yeast.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #25
DarthCitra
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
Sorry to sound like a 'catch 21', but if yeast gives you gas, that is an indication your digestion will benefit by eating yeast. The b complex in yeast improves digestion, until that point, yeast gets into the intestinal track and boom. Have read there are some folks that always have trouble with live yeast and it's ability to ferment in the intestinal track can be dangerous!
I have always eaten the health food variety debittered yeast like candy. Love the taste, but had to build up to it.
Rambling, sorry! Short of it, 2 reasons for getting bloating from yeast, 1-inability to digest, improves with time, gas caused by intestinal bugs eating the yeast. Eating yogurt helps to set up the friendly intestinal bugs, and 2- inability to handle live yeast, yeast ferments in your intestines(BAD). In the beginning, everyone has the issue with both reason 1 and 2. Some never get used to tolerating live yeast.
No need to be sorry there! this is some info i can show my wife on why im dusting the crops half of the night! lol I never knew yeast can benefit digestion. thanks for the info!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #26
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Flboy - great info on the benefits to diabetics. Unfortunately, I have to imagine they are talking specifically about yeast tablets and not yeast in beer. They may be the same thing, but I would think the alcohol cancels out any positive effects from the yeast, no? I'm not diabetic, but my understanding was that you have to be really careful with alcohol.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Flboy - great info on the benefits to diabetics. Unfortunately, I have to imagine they are talking specifically about yeast tablets and not yeast in beer. They may be the same thing, but I would think the alcohol cancels out any positive effects from the yeast, no? I'm not diabetic, but my understanding was that you have to be really careful with alcohol.
Yeast tablets are not as helpful for diabetes, or more correctly, helping regulate blood sugar. Most tablets are debittered. The chromium is stripped out of the yeast. In my case, my Doctor gave me a pass on home brew. But I was only pre-diabetic, and it was diet related, not metabolic related. My big change was to eliminate any forms of fructose, corn sugar, etc. And at the same time, got back into brewing. I watched my weight drop 30 lbs and am back at a 30 inch waist! And my blood work is now good! Since I have always been eating the 'heath-food' yeast, it was killing me to dump out the yeast cakes from my brews and pay a fortune for the powder stuff.
In doing research on dangers/viability of eating left over yeast was when I stumbled into this information. Yes, have cross checked it thru multiple sources. FYI, the yeast is known to stimulate weight loss too! Biggest recommendation is to pasteurize the yeast if you are going to eat it, or add to food. Live yeast in large quantities can be very dangerous- you have seen what your fermenter can do!
KILLER mac and cheese-- add washed yeast! Great earthy taste and the cooking kills the yeast!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #28
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 217

There has got to be a place where I can get a jar of Vegemite here in the states...

On tap
Ichter Hill IPA OG 1.058
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoughram View Post
There has got to be a place where I can get a jar of Vegemite here in the states...
I did a quick search, it is available from many sources, including Amazon.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
beekeeperman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Is it possible to strain strain out any disturbed sediment
on the 2nd pour of a 22 0z. growler ?
Maybe through a coffee filter sitting in a small strainer or is
that overkill and need to put on my big boy pants ?
Seems after the 1st 12 0z. pour it gets stirred up a little even being
gentle with it.

A much taller glass would be the other option .
Could also be the beer needs more conditioning time to solidify
the sediment on the bottom more. Only been bottled 1 week.
Its like being a kid in the candy store being my 1st home brew ever.

Quick Reply