Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When do you stop tipping the bottle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Malty_Dog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
Anyone else click on this thread thinking it was going to be another "am I a homebrewer alcoholic?" type thread?
*slowly raises hand

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
DarthCitra
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Im guessing Belgian's fart quite a bit. My wife isnt a happy camper after i down the yeast!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthCitra View Post
Im guessing Belgian's fart quite a bit. My wife isnt a happy camper after i down the yeast!
Your digestive system adjusts to it over time. Kinda like switching to a high fiber diet is rough for a few days but then things kinda "smooth out".

Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
balrog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Your digestive system adjusts to it over time. Kinda like switching to a high fiber diet is rough for a few days but then things kinda "smooth out".
"high fiber"..."rough"...I see what you did there.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Nightstrife
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
"smooth out".
*shakes head*

I use 12 oz bottles and 2l PET bottles, the 12s aren't so bad but about the 4th or 5th pour off the 2l things get a bit cloudy. however if you keep the liquid above the yeast during your pour it helps to not mix it as much and keep a cleaner beer. That said at the bottom of a 2l I don't really care about my clarity anymore. ;-)

Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
rmyurick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Usually just watch for yeast in the discharge. Sometimes the yeast settles out really well, and you can pour the whole bottle, like a SNPA. Lately, I have to leave about a half inch of beer if I don't wanna "git yeasty wit it".

Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a mix of Cooper's 750ml PET bottles, 710ml Sprite bottles (make fun if you want) and standard 12oz pry off beer bottles.

I find that with the Cooper's and Sprite bottles the sediment compacts very solidly into the 5 divots (wells?) in the bottom. A lot of the time I can completely drain the bottle without disturbing the sediemt eventhough I have to do two pours (none of my beer glasses are more than 500ml).

Like a couple here have said, when pouring a 12oz (flat bottom) glass bottle I stop when I notice sediment collecting in the shoulder.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I drink the yeast, and was pre diabetic before starting to home brew. Last checkups are all very good. I then did some research and found the following- but, yes some folks are very sensitive to the yeast and react badly with killer headaches:

Quoted from: http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Healt..._Brewers_Yeast

Brewer's yeast is a byproduct of the beer industry. It absorbs vitamins and nutrients from the other ingredients involved in the brewing process. As the yeast absorbs nutrients it also absorbs flavors, which are often bitter. Some companies use a process to remove the bitterness from the product but often this also removes some of the nutritional content. In fact, during this process nearly all of the chromium will be removed. If you choose to use this type of brewer's yeast, you should add a chromium supplement.
Brewer's yeast is found in health food and natural food stores. There is no way to know the exact nutritional content in any brewer's yeast because it will vary according to the age of the yeast and even from batch to batch.
Nutritional Content:
Brewer's yeast has a high nucleic acid count. This is an important component of cell development. Other vitamins and minerals contained in brewer's yeast are:

Folic acid
B12
Potassium
Thiamin
Niacin
Chromium

It is low in calories, fat, sodium and carbohydrates, which makes it great for the person who has dietary restrictions for health reasons.
Some Health Benefits of Brewer's Yeast:

Using brewer's yeast daily as a supplement to your healthy diet can improve the following conditions:

Diabetes
Hypoglycemia
High cholesterol
Eczema
Nervousness
Stress
Carpal tunnel
Anemia
Fatigue
Constipation
Repels fleas when given to household pets

"If you use brewer's yeast to help control diabetes, be sure you get the type that has not gone through the debittering process. The nutrient in the yeast that helps with diabetes is chromium, the supplement that is removed during debittering. Chromium is also the part of the yeast that helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol. The chromium in brewer's yeast is more bio-available, allowing the body to use it more effectively than the type found in supplements.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That's really interesting Fiboy, thanks for sharing that.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
phug
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 9

gonna have to try feeding my dogs some trub and see how that goes over.

Quick Reply