The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When did you make the switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
doornumber3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default When did you make the switch?

So i'm fairly new to brewing and have been doing the Extract brewing. I think i have this down pretty good and thinking of making the switch from extract. Some have said stick with extract for a bit more, but wanted to get opinions. I have all the equipment to make the switch, just curious when people made the swtich?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
So i'm fairly new to brewing and have been doing the Extract brewing. I think i have this down pretty good and thinking of making the switch from extract. Some have said stick with extract for a bit more, but wanted to get opinions. I have all the equipment to make the switch, just curious when people made the swtich?

Thanks!
Some people stay with extract for brewing, while others may never use extract at all. I don't think there is any sort of timetable for people to change their method, as people brew what they want in the way they want.

I have have good friend who never once made an extract batch, and he's a mighty fine brewer. I have other friends who brew only with extract, and make good beer as well. It really doesn't matter.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have the equipment do it now. Its easier than you think. I actually think it is easier to do high quality beer with all grain, even if you don't pull it off perfectly.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I started going ag after 2 batches. If you think you are making good beer now and want to take on the initial expense and added complexity of ag then go for it. The reason a lot of people may say to hold off is because ag will not make your beer better. If your current process ids flawed ag will be as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
doornumber3
Recipes 

Thanks Yooper!. I'm thinking of changing just because I really want to experiment with some things and different flavors, and I think it's a bit harder to do with the extract.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
doornumber3
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, i have the equipment already so I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe next weekend if i have a full day to do it. Figure it'd be nice to try both anyways and see what i like better.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

If you've already got the equipment, why not give AG a try for a batch or two? I did one store extract kit, one extract brew with my own recipe, one BIAB, made a mash tun and AG since. You can always go back to AG if you don't like it.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I did AE & E/SG for some 2 years before moving up to Partial Mash. That was 4 brews ago. I'm using the same set up I've been using the whole time,save for adding a 5G paint strainer bag for PB/PM BIAB. Works well efficiency-wise,but the fine crush makes for cloudy beer. Have to start using the super moss I bought from now on.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
Thanks everyone, i have the equipment already so I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe next weekend if i have a full day to do it. Figure it'd be nice to try both anyways and see what i like better.
Little tip I wish I had been told: take the time to calibrate your kettle. Find out the boil off rate and put some notches on a stick to indicate the volume. This way if your OG is off you can add water or boil longer so that you still hit your numbers.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post

Little tip I wish I had been told: take the time to calibrate your kettle. Find out the boil off rate and put some notches on a stick to indicate the volume. This way if your OG is off you can add water or boil longer so that you still hit your numbers.
I will admit, never done this, would like to. Can you give a quick rundown of how? Or maybe a link? Thx

Quick Reply