The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to crack open first bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Plan9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default When to crack open first bottle?

I've bottled my first batch, and I'm curious on how to know it's ready.
I've read 2 weeks, 3 weeks...

Is there a visible way to know it's properly carbonated, or a stedfast time to wait?

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The general rule of thumb is 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, and 3 in bottles.
I usually crack a bottle after two weeks and see how it's going. The longer you wait, the better the beer will be...

Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

No visible way to tell and no steadfast time. Carbing can depend on the temp the bottles are at, the amount of priming sugar you used, etc. Crack one after 2 weeks, if it's not ready wait another week and call the first one research

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cracked one open after 5 days on my fist batch. That's not really recommended, and it was definitely "green" yet, but it did already have some fizz, and made it easier to wait another couple weeks in anticipation of better conditioning.

Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Better get to brewing again.....the more in the pipeline, the easier it is to wait.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

i'll test about 1 a week, but i usually don't really crack into them for about 6 weeks

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If you are just getting started, I would taste one weekly. It will teach you how a beer ages. If you keep a log, you should make notes on how the beer is developing week by week. Right now I taste one at two weeks and wait a month until drinking.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Hogshead
Recipes 

Default Surefire method...

Just for kicks, grab a bottled beer- one you know is carbonated.

Take a spoon and holding the bottle by the cap tap the bottle with the spoon... You should hear the bottle RING. Then shake the hell outta the bottle and do the same thing. The pressure in the bottle will keep the bottle from ringing and you'll only hear a dull tap tap sound...

It's too simple to be true, Shake the bottle and tap it with a spoon. If the beer is carbonated the bottle won't ring!

Never drink flat beer again!

Last edited by Hogshead; 01-20-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Go Gators
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
The general rule of thumb is 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, and 3 in bottles.
I usually crack a bottle after two weeks and see how it's going. The longer you wait, the better the beer will be...
I have only brewed two batches, so I am only asking for information. But in the recipe that the I received from the store it says to place in secondary, "condition", for 7 to 10 days but no longer than 14. However everything I have read says at least 14 days. Anyone out there know why they would recommend only 7 days? Thanks
On Tap - Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Next - Nothing at the moment
Reading - Radical Brewing

GO GATORS!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Gators
I have only brewed two batches, so I am only asking for information. But in the recipe that the I received from the store it says to place in secondary, "condition", for 7 to 10 days but no longer than 14. However everything I have read says at least 14 days. Anyone out there know why they would recommend only 7 days? Thanks
I'd imagine it probably has something to do with the fact that they have no f*cking clue what the hell they're talking about. You're not hurting anything with extended aging. Autolysis, where the yeast starts to die and other yeast cells eat those dead cells, and it stinks to hell and ruins the beer, takes months and months and months to happen. I don't think I've ever come across anyone on these boards that has had an experience with actual autolysis. So why they'd say no longer than 14 days is beyond me, except to say that they're full of sh*t.

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you're bottling your beer, you should probably repitch with a few sprinkles of new dry yeast if there's more than 8 weeks between brewdate and bottling date---because there's always a chance that there's no longer enough yeast in suspension to successfully bottle-carbonate.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply