Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > when can I drink!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
rwabdu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when can I drink!

so i brewed a Weizenbier a month ago, (only primary ferment 3 weeks) and bottled it last sunday (its been 5 days now) I put about a tea spoon of glucose in each bottle. When should I test it to has carbonated? its been sitting in the dark at about 68 F. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
rudu81
Recipes 

3 weeks at 70 F is the mantra. I do 4. Test it after 2 weeks and see if you like it.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

This may sound crazy but i tested a pale ale after 5 days,just used a quick ice batch like 15 min.And i couldnt believe it was as carbonated as it was, i used dme which is suppose to take longer, i also checked my oatmeal creme stout at almost two weeks and is pretty close to being done and i had no complaints about the carbonation of either.My temps were 67 also.
Any body else use a quick ice bath to chill one? I had an ipa that tasted better this way than in the fridge for 3 days,im a little confused.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
rwabdu
Recipes 

damn, Im thirsty now.

thanks for the advice. I'll try next week.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You can try it any time you like, it's your beer afterall...but if you open it early it will probably be flat and taste like a$$, so don't start a panic, "my beer is flat and tastes like a$$ thread." We'll laugh at you and tell you how you should have waited at least three weeks.

read this, and you'll understand. Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

If you're thirsty, go get some micro brews and call it "research for my next batch."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
umopepisdn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had an IPA that took 5 weeks before it really started tasting good. For some reason my IPAs seem to require a much longer bottling time then my dopplebocks or scotch ales which are tasty in 3 weeks. I figured the denser beers would take longer

Take me to your liter

Fermenting:
Belgian Golden Strong ale
Bottled and waiting:
Imperial IPA 5 gal
A batch of IPA 5 gallons, split to half wyeast American ale and half wyeast British ale
Bottled and being consumed
Nothing, friends cleared me out like a batch of piranhas, sign I am getting better I guess

Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

If you're thirsty, go get some micro brews and call it "research for my next batch."
That is great advice I do that all the time!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwabdu View Post
so i brewed a Weizenbier a month ago, (only primary ferment 3 weeks) and bottled it last sunday (its been 5 days now) I put about a tea spoon of glucose in each bottle. When should I test it to has carbonated? its been sitting in the dark at about 68 F. thanks.
in the future I'd recommend making a priming solution (just mix all the sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and racking your beer onto it in the bottling bucket instead of priming each bottle individually. its safer and quicker

Old 02-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could try it any time you like. By trying it too early, you'll find when is too early, and then next time you'll know.

When I was bottling, I'd try after 5 days, no problem. But normally it was not really there yet. But at least it was homebrew, right?

Go drink one now if you want. You got like 50 more, right? What's the big deal. If it's almost there, try again Saturday (if you can wait that long). If it's not, try again Saturday (if you can wait that long).

My point is, try it if you like. Understand it might not be ready. Do not judge it yet. But feel free to try it. After you've tried enough at 5 days bottled, you might be able to judge it at this point. But for now, it's all learning.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Erik7494
Recipes 

My first brew is conditioning now, but since it is my first, I open and drink a bottle once every few days just to see how it develops. Two weeks now, already opened 6 bottles and it is starting to taste like something. This way I'll probably finished most of it before it reaches its peak, but then again it's a good learning process and I can always brew some more!

Quick Reply