Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > when bottling.. use the hot glue gun.. love the hot glue gun..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
Gosassin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
You better patent that before Martha Stewart jumps on it. You might as well just dip the neck and cap in this:

Anybody ever tried applying this stuff to the bottom of a glass carboy? Seems like it would be a good way to help insure it doesn't crack or chip if you accidentally set it down too hard or something. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Or you could set your carboy on carpet, or a towel, or a pad of some sort. Or wrap the whole thing in newspaper and duct tape. Or, ferment in a closet, and buy a used mattress for the floor!

On a serious note, it seems like most glass carboy accidents occur from dropping or banging the sides... neither of which would be helped by a plastic bottom coating. It couldn't hurt, but it just seems like a waste of money to me, but that's just one man's opinion. Cheers.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosassin View Post
Anybody ever tried applying this stuff to the bottom of a glass carboy? Seems like it would be a good way to help insure it doesn't crack or chip if you accidentally set it down too hard or something. Thoughts?
It's generally too thin to really absorb much shock. Dunno how well it would stick to glass in the first place unless you prep'd the surface...

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #24
orangeandblue302
Recipes 

If i had that Plasti-Dip in my possession everything in my house would have a plactic coating on it, not for functional purposes, but out of sheer boredom.

That stuff looks fun

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #25
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Are you boiling your caps for a long time? That could cause the seal to not be as good. I use sanitizer on my caps.

Also commercial caps don't have a ring in the center since they use something similar to a bench capper (though bigger, badder and more expensive), nothing like our hand cappers, so... no ring.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #26
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like your capper is broken or you aren't using it right. That red one is the same one everyone uses and I've never heard of anyone having a problem sealing all different kinds of bottles. I probably have 25 different kinds of bottles and they all work just fine.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1953 Times on 1413 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
It's generally too thin to really absorb much shock. Dunno how well it would stick to glass in the first place unless you prep'd the surface...
Too true, but it might make the breakage a bit less explosive. I wonder if it would be worth it to wrap some tape around a carboy before carrying around. Oh well, the milk crate thing is a good idea too.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Bench capper FTW.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bedazzler FTW!!!

Plus we are up to post #29 so +27 for faulty capper.

(And to go against the tidal wave I prefer my lowly wing capper because I can line up a dozen filled bottles and just jump the capper from one to the next and seal. Takes me 5 seconds per bottle or one minute for the whole 12.)

The only problem with my method is that there is no way to adhere any rhinestones or other nifty bling.

Finally to complete my 'let's offend everyone' post. I am brand new to kegging and have never had the chance to say this before: You should just try kegging your beer. No worries about lameass cappers or glue guns . . . Ok JK

Addendum: That Plasti-dip stuff reminds me of when I got my Dremel. I went around the house looking for stuff that in one way or the other neeeded to Dremeled. The dog wouldn't get near me for a week.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 02-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Get yourself another capper. Use the original as a standby. I have not had any problem with getting a good seal with the Emily, but recently found that a stand-by capper can be necessary. Was merrily capping along, when the capper broke. Was able to fix it but a good 45 minutes went by with my brew in the bottling bucket. I was sweating that I wouldn't be able to finish the batch, and I had only just started. I will obtain another capper. Another good stand-by is a second thermometer. I was heating some 150F sparge water and the therm was reading 120 but then it started to boil.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Quick Reply