Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When bottling, it seemed slightly carbonated... normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
bwatts4200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When bottling, it seemed slightly carbonated... normal?

Hey guys,

Last night I was bottling my latest brew and noticed it seemed a little carbonated already. I tasted it and it did not seem as flat as I am used to coming out of the second fermentor. This is also the longest I have let a brew sit in the second (about 3 weeks). Is this normal? Do you think I will have any problems with the bottles?

I know this a only a little info with out seeing it first hand... but thanks in advance for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Don't confuse the unique taste of very young beer with carbonated product. Three weeks is plenty of time for full fermentation. Some residual fermentation will continue and trace amounts of CO2 will continue to be produced, but unless your beer was chilled and sealed, that gas would continue to escape. I'm assuming here there was not a lot of lag time between priming the beer and bottling. You should be fine.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

There's always co2 present from the minute fermentation begins...but that's not the same as carbonation. It's not until you trap co2 into a vessel, like a bottle, or a keg and it gets forced into solution is it technically carbonated.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some CO2 stays in solution during the process, and the amount in solution is usually linked to the fermentation temp.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Yup, you're always going to have some residual CO2 dissolved in the beer from fermentation. This actually helps keep your beer fresh in the bottle- some of the CO2 comes out of solution when it gets bottled, covering the bottle in a little layer of CO2 that pushes the air out of the bottle before you cap. That way, no oxygen gets into your bottles (well, not much).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply