The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Rounder999
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to bottle?

OK, I pitched on Sunday, OG 1045. Furious bubbling for 36 hours now on wednesday eve no bubbles. My gravity is 1020 now. Some patches of yellow still on top floating , not much. I plan on bottling or pitching to a secondary next monday when I am off. Should I go ahead and bottle so my yeast will carbonate well or can I let it clarify for a week in the secondary and then bottle? True brew Amber Ale with Muntons Yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Sprocket
Recipes 

No need to rush. If you're skipping secondary altogether it's probably better to leave it in primary for at at least 2 weeks. Even though the beer appears clear there is still plenty of yeast in suspension which will be sufficient to carbonate the beer in bottles. You could put it in secondary on Mon., but I wouldn't bottle it then.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder999 View Post
OK, I pitched on Sunday, OG 1045. Furious bubbling for 36 hours now on wednesday eve no bubbles. My gravity is 1020 now. Some patches of yellow still on top floating , not much. I plan on bottling or pitching to a secondary next monday when I am off. Should I go ahead and bottle so my yeast will carbonate well or can I let it clarify for a week in the secondary and then bottle? True brew Amber Ale with Muntons Yeast
You'd be doing yourself an injustice by bottling in a week. Either leave it alone, right where it is, for two weeks or more, or you can rack to a secondary if you feel you have to and let it sit for two weeks there. If you're going to bother racking to a secondary, a week isn't really very long. If you're going to bottle in two weeks total fermenting time (and I wouldn't), then you might as well leave it where it is.
I mean, you'd have to sanitize the carboy, the racking cane, the new bung, airlock, etc. If you're going to all that trouble, at least leave it in secondary for two weeks.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

If you can wait - use the rule of thumb as seen throughout this forum - 1-2-3. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary, three weeks in the bottle, enjoy!! I generally go at least 2 weeks and more often 3-4 weeks in primary then straight to bottle or rack to secondary depending on what I am trying to achieve. The secondary is for clarifying more than anything else - the fermentation is for the most part completed in the primary .

Old 10-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Rounder999
Recipes 

Default When to bottle?

I can wait, but I do want to free up my fermenter for batch #2. I am unclear as to what i will lose if I rack to my secondary, where it can sit for 2 weeks ,if I will still have yeast to eat my priming sugar then. I guess I still have a lot to learn!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
I can wait, but I do want to free up my fermenter for batch #2. I am unclear as to what i will lose if I rack to my secondary, where it can sit for 2 weeks ,if I will still have yeast to eat my priming sugar then. I guess I still have a lot to learn!
You can let it sit in the secondary for a LONG time before you have to worry about the yeast not carbing your beer. Like months, not weeks. So don't worry about it! I've lagered beers at near freezing for 8 weeks, and not had a problem with bottle carbing!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What are you using for secondary? Carboy, AlePail? Why not just brew another beer and use that for your primary?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Rounder999
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
What are you using for secondary? Carboy, AlePail? Why not just brew another beer and use that for your primary?
I have a donated glass 5 gal carboy that is just begging to be useful.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
I have a donated glass 5 gal carboy that is just begging to be useful.
Oh hai....

Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

i... don't rush ya beer... it takes time to achieve something great! just get a few more carboys. if i were you, i wouldn't rack to a secondary just yet.... make a batch or 2 and then make that decision.... slow down a bit cowboy. it's a really fun hobby if you have the patience for it.....if ya keep brewin, you'll find it's like Christmas every 2 months! ho ho ho !!!!

Quick Reply