Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
zeoalex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to bottle?

Aright guys, this is a very noob question...but I'm gonna ask it anyways. I brewed a raspberry wheat (Midwest kit) a week ago, Thursday night. I work 60-70 hours a week (as a production assistant on a TV show...hooray). I took a sample after I pitched my yeast, took my OG reading, and then put it in a spare bottle. I tested that sample on thursday, And found that I was .002 off from my estimated FG. I decided to test again last night and then again this morning, both times I was at 1.012, which was the low end of the FG. My question becomes, can I bottle? Or should I wait until next week to bottle? I also bought a 5gal carboy, so I'm also considering sending it to secondary for a week or two. What do you guys think my best course of action is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of a test bottle, as its really not the same as testing your actual beer. With proper sanitation you're not in any danger of infecting your beer. So....

1. I'd let it sit at least two weeks before I even took a reading. And that's because its a wheat, other styles I wait 3-4 weeks. At that point its only to confirm FG, as lots of other things have happened that cleaned up the beer for you.

2. You can bottle now probably, it just won't be as good as if oyu waited.

3. Secondary is up to you, it can be a heated debate on here. I wouldn't bother with a wheat, others would. Your call.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
zeoalex
Recipes 

The second 2 readings came from the fermenting bucket, only reason I opened the bucket was because my test bottle looked to be pretty much done

As far as secondary, I bought it largely so I could have multiple batches when I'm back at school, I understand for wheats, it's not as desirable.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2000 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

1.012 isn't an unreasonable FG,I've gotten that on some pale ales. My wife's wit went down to 1,010,so,imo,you're pretty close.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
zeoalex
Recipes 

the estimated FG of this brew is 1.012-1.017, and I got it 2 days in a row, which is why i was thinking about going to bottle, but I do know that it is generally understood that it should stay in primary for 2 weeks...which is why I'm asking the question haha

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2000 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

If it tastes good (for green beer,mind you),then it's ok to bottle. Let it sit if it needs more time to clear to a slight haze,or if it has any "off" flavors.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
zeoalex
Recipes 

green beer?
I think it's pretty good, there's kind of a harsher alcohol flavor at the end, but I feel like that should be a little bit better once it carbonates and does a little bit of bottle conditioning...right?
I'd either bottle today, or bottle next weekend, as there is no time with work during the week

edit: I thikn that it MAY be slightly darker than where it should be, but will it lighten if I let it sit a little longer?

Last edited by zeoalex; 06-19-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeoalex View Post
green beer?
I think it's pretty good, there's kind of a harsher alcohol flavor at the end, but I feel like that should be a little bit better once it carbonates and does a little bit of bottle conditioning...right?
I'd either bottle today, or bottle next weekend, as there is no time with work during the week

edit: I thikn that it MAY be slightly darker than where it should be, but will it lighten if I let it sit a little longer?
Bottle next weekend. Two weeks or so in the fermenter is a good practice.

It won't lighten in color, but more "stuff" will fall out meaning that it'll be less crud in the bottles later.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
zeoalex
Recipes 

ok, i think i'll hold off until next week then. The next question is that I have a batch of sanitizer mixed up in my bottling bucket, covered with saran wrap...do you guys think that'l last until next week? or would I be better off just dumping it and mixing up a new batch next week (it's not a HUGE deal if it's better to dump...just less wasteful)

Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeoalex View Post
ok, i think i'll hold off until next week then. The next question is that I have a batch of sanitizer mixed up in my bottling bucket, covered with saran wrap...do you guys think that'l last until next week? or would I be better off just dumping it and mixing up a new batch next week (it's not a HUGE deal if it's better to dump...just less wasteful)
What kind of sanitizer is it?

Quick Reply