Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When Is Beer Supposed To Taste Like Beer (or what do hops "taste' like)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Super64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default When Is Beer Supposed To Taste Like Beer (or what do hops "taste' like)?

I know, odd question.

Just after Thanksgiving I brewed a Pale Ale (see thread "A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words")

All the numbers looked correct, and after racking to my secondary, a taste test revealed an odd taste I could only describe as "solvent" like.

3 weeks in the secondary and things have improved, only slightly.

Yesterday, I brewed a simple 2.5 gallon of APA using Munton's Light LME, some Crystal 10L, some Carapils and one 1/2 ounce of Northern Brewers hops.

Steeped wort tasted fine, like what I would expect.

Added LME, got to hot break, taste test was fine (sweet - malty)

One 1/2 ounce of hops, everything looks good.

20 minutes left in the boil and another taste test had that same odd, back of the throat odd/off flavor.

Did not use bleach on the second batch (San Star)

One 1/2 oz of Northern Brewers batch #2 versus NB, Cascade, Cascade on Batch #1.

Could I be tasting the "bittering" hops and not know it?

Should beer taste like beer without carbonation, prior to the carbonation step?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Beer will taste different without carbonation. It's known as "green" beer. Generally, you can get a good idea of how the beer will turn out by tasting green beer. I'd let the beer sit for a month or more after bottling, then try it. Hops shouldn't give off a solvent flavor. What kind of equipment are you using?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Should beer taste like beer without carbonation, prior to the carbonation step?
No - carbonation for a Pale Ale means a LOT!!! Seriously - probebly had like zero taste and ANY tiny problem will show up. That probebly will probebly go away with age and carbonation.

When I brew a brown I just have to compared the pre bottle taste with previous results because it tastes like . . . . nothing.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My roommate said Two hearted ale tastes like soapy water

Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Super64
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Suthrncomfrt,

I use a stainless steel pot about 3 gallons in size, glass carboys and a plastic spoon. All were sanitized with San Star.

My point about non-carbonated beer was aimed more toward the question of "is pre-carbonated beer (ie flat beer) what I should expect to taste before priming and bottling?"

Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

... or what do hops "taste' like?

Next time you brew, put one of the hop pellets in your mouth. That will give you a pretty good idea.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess my first question would be, what types of beers do you normally drink? American Pale Ale is a hoppy beer style.

Hops can come across as harsh to some people, especially in a younger beer. I would suggest bottling it and letting it condition for a while, then trying one.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Beer will taste different without carbonation. It's known as "green" beer.
I would also add that my beer is carbed by about one week in the bottle. But it only loses that green beer taste at about 3 weeks. So I'm not entirely sure that green = uncarbed.

Follow Me on Twitter

My Hopville Account

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Am drinking an Irish Red right now. (I work nights, give me a break).

It is fully carbed, but still has a slight green taste to it. After tasting many hydrometer samples, both during fermentation and at bottling (when it tastes sweeter from the unfermented sugar) I have to say that for me, the "green" taste comes from hops. It's an almost floral/herbal taste. I've tasted hop pellets (as has my 11 yr old brew partner daughter) and I think that honestly that's what makes green beer taste the way it does. The beer may be carbed in a week, but it takes about 2 more weeks for that fresh hop taste to subside. I may be crazy however.

Follow Me on Twitter

My Hopville Account

Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Super64
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Special Hops,
Yup, done that. Tried the Northern Brewers hops prior to adding on my first batch. Perceived a bitter to grapefruity taste. This was a single hops leaf. I'm wondering if what I'm tasting is the combination of all the hops addition just before I read the OG.

Brookdale,
I will typically drink anything from the famous Irish Stout to once having Stone's IPA, which I found very strong, until I got thru to the 3rd one. It does kinda grow on you , but IPAs are not my normal beverage of choice.

Herot,
I tasted my second batch from steeped grain water thru end of boil. It was fine until I tasted it 40 minutes after the Northern Brewers hops addition. Then the sweet malty taste went to what I interpret as an off flavor. No chance to screw it up by over temp fermentation. Yet, not as strong a flavor as Batch #1, I assume because Batch #1 had 3 hop additions.

Quick Reply