Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to add LME during boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default When to add LME during boil?

I see many of you only add half of the LME during initial boil and then add the other half at the end of e boiling phase. What are the benefits and risks of doing it this way? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i would suggest that you add it all at the beginning. nobody has confirmed this for me yet, but i think LME and DME do not undergo a hot break before it is packaged and sold. you could possibly get an infection if the extract doesn't get heated long/hot enough.

i don't know exactly why people say to end it at the end, but i suppose it has something to do with the hops in the recipe. wort that has lots of extract in it will not utilize as much of the hops you put in it. maybe the recipe was trying to skimp on hops by keeping the extract levels down until the very end.

if you have a recipe that says to add the DME at the end, and you want to add it at the beginning, use this recipe calculator to adjust the hops quantities and ensure that you keep the hops IBU's at the level the recipe specifies. be sure to set the "batch size" and "boil size" correctly. http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Reason: removed sentence

Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The longer you boil the LME/DME the more you'll darken your wort.
So for a darker beer I would add all of the sugars right after pulling my steeping grains. For a lighter colored beer some of the sugars will be added in the last 10 minutes uf the boil.
As stated above, I would enter your OG (based on your sugar additions) into an brewing calculator and calculate your bittering hop addition to make sure your keeping close to the recipe guidlines.

The benefits are keeping a beer to style.
The risks are changing the bittering to a level that could be outside the style guidlines.

good luck,

Bull

Old 12-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Whether LME or DME, I start the boil with 1lb and add the remainder at 15 minutes. That's all the hotbreak it needs. You get slightly better hop utilization with a less-dense boil. There is no need to boil off DMS since this has already been done by the maltster. If I'm doing a PM then all of the extract is added at 15 minutes.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

When a long boil darkens the wort (as mentioned above), it changes some of the sugars into unfermentables. Overboiled extract may not hit the FG target and it may end up a bit sweeter than you might like.

Barleywines are overboiled on purpose, to add extra caramel notes and color.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
donjonson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
When a long boil darkens the wort (as mentioned above), it changes some of the sugars into unfermentables. Overboiled extract may not hit the FG target and it may end up a bit sweeter than you might like.

Barleywines are overboiled on purpose, to add extra caramel notes and color.
This is an extremely valuable piece of information thank you

Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Also, there has been ongoing debate about hop utilization and density of the wort. I can't remember where the thread is, but someone IIRC, somehow showed that there was no perceptible difference in hop utilization between a sugar dense wort or a less dense wort. I completely agree with the statement that making late additions of LME will help prevent darkening the beer. However, in every late addition, you will still want to add it no later than the last 15 minutes of the boil so that any bugs that might be in it are killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

thanks for all the tips. much appreciated. can't believe how much I have learned in the last week by coming to this forum. cheers.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
add it no later than the last 15 minutes of the boil so that any bugs that might be in it are killed.
Sorry to be nitpicky but... I add it when I add my clarifier. When I used Irish moss, it was at 10 minutes; now I'm using Whirlfloc which recommends 15 minutes, so I do 15 minutes now. The sugar in a partial boil raises the boiling point to well above 212F. I've measured 215F at flameout. 10 minutes at that is more than enough to kill anything that might infect your beer. Consider also that after you add your late-addition extract it takes a good five minutes or more to return to a boil - during which time the wort is at a very high, though not boiling, temperature.

Quote:
Also, there has been ongoing debate about hop utilization and density of the wort. I can't remember where the thread is, but someone IIRC, somehow showed that there was no perceptible difference in hop utilization between a sugar dense wort or a less dense wort.
True, the increase in utilization is usually only around 1-3 IBU and is likely to be well below your perception threshold. Ray Daniels points out that at low IBU levels (<20) people can only perceive a difference of about 5 IBU. So with the higher IBU beers most of us brew it's a pretty safe bet that there will be no noticeable difference. But my cheapskate instinct wants to get every IBU I can!

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I've added both DME and LME (and honey, and corn sugar) at flame out. I know that it's said that you want to boil it "at least 15 minutes" to kill bugs etc, but at flame out my wort is over 210 degrees. That's enough to pasteurize anything- I pasteurize milk at 160 for example- so flame out is ok with me.

When I added it with 15 minutes left, it stopped my boil. Not really a big deal, but I make a lot of IPAs and APAs so it screwed up my hopping. I started adding it at flame out, and have been much happier.

I don't use extract much anymore, but if I did use it again I'd still do add the majority of it at flame out.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply