Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to add hops to boiling wort?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Natarch519
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to add hops to boiling wort?!?

I've been doing some research over the past few days on why exactly my first batch has such a strong bitter after taste (even after 3 months in the bottle) and have noticed a lot of differences between the instructions that came with the ingredient kit i bought vs buying the ingredients myself.

For example, the instructions with the Amber kit say to add all the DME, unhopped malt extract and hops at the same time and bring to a boil for 60 mins.

I have come across a lot of recipes that seem to have a standard of 60 min boils time, but add the hops after the Hot Break. And others that add the hops at the 45 min left of boil time.

I also came across a Hops Boiling Chart that says most of the flavor of hops is gone after 60 mins of boiling the wort but the bitterness level peaks. It also says that the flavor peaks at about 20 mins of boiling time.

I am so confused. Is there an ideal time to add the hops to ensure flavor, but not over bitter beer?? Does the time of when to add hops vary from type of beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Yes to both questions. The first thing to disappear is aroma, which is why you want to add hops with 5 to 0 minutes left of you want smell (and dry hop). Flavor disappears after about 20 so adding hops with 15ish minutes will give you flavor. Boiling them longer just adds bitterness.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes hops additions vary greatly with beer styles. 60 minute additions are for bittering, flavor/aroma additions happen in the last 10-20 minutes. There are also other hops manipulation schedules such as first wort hopping, dry hopping, etc, etc, just about anything you can do with hops and beer has been identified.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natarch519 View Post

I also came across a Hops Boiling Chart that says most of the flavor of hops is gone after 60 mins of boiling the wort but the bitterness level peaks.
any clue why there's a possible bitterness peak? all ive read is that it takes about 30 min for the acids/resins to become soluable with the wort

Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It does change for various types of beer, but most standard kits should have you add a designated amount of bittering hops after you have brought the wort to a boil (after adding the malt extract) and boil for 60 minutes. But there should usually be a small addition of flavoring or aroma hops anywhere within the last 20 minutes. Some kits are put together differently though.

Where did you buy this kit from?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
normnmiles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Natarch519, I would recommend using some kind of brewing software (such as Beer Smith, Brewtarget or Brew Mate). This allows you to add your ingredients and adjust your hop schedule. The time and amount of hops you add during the boil have huge impact on bitterness. Using the software allows you see this impact via the calculated IBUs.

Also look at different recipes and see what hop schedules they use to help you develop your recipe.

Cheers

Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Natarch519
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
any clue why there's a possible bitterness peak? all ive read is that it takes about 30 min for the acids/resins to become soluable with the wort
I'm not really sure. There wasnt much of why the bitterness peaks, more of just a graph showing biol times and hop reaction. Here is the chart I cam across :http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Natarch519
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliterunner1 View Post
It does change for various types of beer, but most standard kits should have you add a designated amount of bittering hops after you have brought the wort to a boil (after adding the malt extract) and boil for 60 minutes. But there should usually be a small addition of flavoring or aroma hops anywhere within the last 20 minutes. Some kits are put together differently though.

Where did you buy this kit from?
It was a True Brew All Malt Amber Kit. I recently did a pale ale kit from this same place. We'll see how that turns out.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never used True Brew but if you ever branch out I recommend Austin Hombrew or Northern Brewer. Their kits are really great for the most part.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natarch519 View Post
I'm not really sure. There wasnt much of why the bitterness peaks, more of just a graph showing biol times and hop reaction. Here is the chart I cam across :http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm
Something about it taking 60 minutes to isomerize all the alpha acids.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Quick Reply