Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to add fruit extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
mrcoldone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to add fruit extract?

I am making the Wife her berry blonde and the kit has no instructions on when to add the extract. I have a secondary so should I just add the berry flavor when I transfer to the secondary? Sorry if this has been asked many times, but I just cant seem to find the answer. Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can add it in secondary, or simply before bottling. I made a berryweiss and added it at bottling. Seeing as it's an extract, with no fermentables, there is no real reason to add it to secondary that I can think of. Just stir it in before bottling and taste it.. Once it's good bottle on up.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
oswiu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I reckon that with extract it's probably best to add it just before bottling, especially if you're looking for lots of flavour and aroma from it. That way there's no danger of aromatics being blown off with CO2. Also, in my experience, the flavour of some extracts fades with time, so adding a bit later can't hurt.

Add it to the bottom of your bottling bucket with priming sugar, rack your beer on top of the lot, then bottle as normal.

Drinking: Buff Face Imperial Stout, Cria (2.X% ABV hop bomb), Llama Doodle NZ hopped IPA

Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
FlashRedGLS18T
Recipes 

As stated already, at bottling. I made my wife a Raspberry Wheat and it turned out well, added the extract at bottling.

Quick Reply