when to add extra "sugar" to raise alcohol level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In case you couldnt tell im brewing right now. I'm thinking I should have added the extra corn sugar during the LME add. when should you add extra "sugar" (sugar, honey, whatever) for alcohol boost?

cheers!

I would add it toward the end of the boil. Either at flame out or last 5-10 mins.

+1

Also adding honey, maple syrup, and other sugars during fermentation can help dry out bigger beers and give them a little extra alcohol and flavor boost.

I would never add extra corn sugar or cane sugar to a brew. Yes, you get extra ABV, but this is basically PURE alcohol. It dries out the beer, and many times throws the entire hop/malt/alcohol balance out of wack.

You wouldn't pour a tablespoon of grain alcohol or vodka into your pint of homebrew in the interest of boosting the ABV. Adding extra simple sugar to a recipe isn't that much different.

If I want to add ABV to my beer, I add grain or decrease water volume, not dump in simple sugars.

I would never add extra corn sugar or cane sugar to a brew. Yes, you get extra ABV, but this is basically PURE alcohol. It dries out the beer, and many times throws the entire hop/malt/alcohol balance out of wack.

You wouldn't pour a tablespoon of grain alcohol or vodka into your pint of homebrew in the interest of boosting the ABV. Adding extra simple sugar to a recipe isn't that much different.

If I want to add ABV to my beer, I add grain or decrease water volume, not dump in simple sugars.

Maybe you have never made a Tripel?

Maybe you have never made a Tripel?

Yes Belgian brews usually add sugar, but the recipes are designed for that. Just adding sugar to an existing recipe to boost the alcohol can throw it out of whack.

If you want a higher ABV brew it is usually best to brew one designed that way.

gwdraper4 said:
+1

Also adding honey, maple syrup, and other sugars during fermentation can help dry out bigger beers and give them a little extra alcohol and flavor boost.

Purely hypothetical question since I haven't ever added sugar. How does a honey addition ( or whatever boosted sugar) during the boil (say at beginning or halfway) differ than an addition at the end? Meaning what different result would you get?

+1

+1. Adding them pre-fermentation will usually dry it out some, but the yeast will go for the easy sugars first, and leave the tougher maltose for later, and can get tuckered out before they consume it all, where if you let it go a few days into primary fermentation before adding sugar, the yeast will chew through the maltose before getting started on the corn sugar (or whatever).

I'm assuming by the bolded parts you mean altering an existing recipe? In which case I agree. But if you mean never, period, you pretty much rule out all the Belgians (or half the IPA/IIPA recipes I've seen).

Purely hypothetical question since I haven't ever added sugar. How does a honey addition ( or whatever boosted sugar) during the boil (say at beginning or halfway) differ than an addition at the end? Meaning what different result would you get?

In terms of sugar in general, you'll get better hop utilization if you wait until towards the end of the boil. If you boil earlier, I'd imagine there'd be some slight maillard reactions, though probably not that noticeable unless you do something extreme with it.

As for honey specifically, most of what I've read says if you add honey in the boil you're just wasting money and might as well just use corn sugar- the boil would kill the flavor and aroma of the honey. Then again, I've seen sources contradict it, including a side by side mead experiment where honey was either boiled or never even heated, and the flavors were different- and the boil did kill some of the aroma, but altered (without lessening) the flavor.

I would never add sugar to boost alcohol. I would add simple sugar to dry a beer out if I think the FG will be to high. Almost a necessity if you are making a bigger beer using extract.

Yes, add simple sugar to a beer to dry it out and it does increase your ABV while you're at it. Timing all depends on the simple sugar. If you're adding table sugar for something like a Saison then feel free to add it at the beginning if the boil. If you're adding honey for a honey wheat or something like that then add it at flame out to avoid driving off precious volatile compounds.

There are plenty of times to add simple sugars to a brew. As mentioned Belgian styles, some English and even some American styles. There are plenty of brewers that use them for one reason or an other and they can make some tasty brews! Different sugars & caramelization levels can bring different things to the party.

I wouldn't add a simple sugars to a stout cause I like them thick. I would add lactose to a stout but that will not ferment.

Back