Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wheat for superbowl (brew wednesday?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
antony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default wheat for superbowl (brew wednesday?)

I'm thinking that if I get a extract wheat started on Wednesday that it should be ready for the superbowl on Feb. 3rd. Ten days in a bucket, 2 weeks in bottles...it'd be very young but I think I can make it happen.

Comments? Whatcha think?

drinking: falconer's flight ipa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you were kegging, I think you would be fine. Being that you are bottling, it could be a toss up as to whether it carbs up in 2 weeks. It should work, make sure once you bottle it to store them in a nice warm room at 70F +

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Pitch plenty of yeast, aerate well and I think you have a shot. Make sure to bottle ASAP after hitting target/stable gravity and keep bottles in a 80 degree location. I've done many beers with carbonation in 2 weeks. The nice thing about wheat beers is that they generally are best young, so the yeast hasn't got time to flocc out and carbing should be quick.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I agree with Kaz, it might be time to consider kegging. Turning a wheat beer around in 1 month from brew to glass via a keg is pretty straightforward, I'd be skeptical that it'll be fully ready via bottles though. In fact, this thread has reminded me to get a blonde going this week to be served (from a keg) on superbowl Sunday myself.

It's worth a shot even if you don't get a keg, worst case it's not quite ready and you drink some store bought beer during the game while telling all your friends how great the homebrew will be if you come back a week later? Just be absolutely sure that fermentation is done before you bottle. Don't let your eagerness to have beer ready for the big game put you in danger of bottle bombs.

Cheers!

(Go Seahawks!)

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
antony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

alright, picked up 7lbs of wheat extract, saaz & hallertau, & wyeast 3638. add water and let's cross our fingers that we'll have drinkable beer by feb 3rd.

if not, i've got milk stouts & coconut porters (but i don't wanna share those as much). i'll report back...wish me luck!!

(& i'm cheerin for denver this year...my wife had the same surgery as manning & that guy is remarkable.)

Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
emmdubb23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
alright, picked up 7lbs of wheat extract, saaz & hallertau, & wyeast 3638. add water and let's cross our fingers that we'll have drinkable beer by feb 3rd.

if not, i've got milk stouts & coconut porters (but i don't wanna share those as much). i'll report back...wish me luck!!

(& i'm cheerin for denver this year...my wife had the same surgery as manning & that guy is remarkable.)
Don't ferment too warm if using the German wheat yeast. The banana clove can go crazy and make your beer like spicy juicy fruit. Watch this in the bottle as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
antony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

UPDATE:

checked the gravity last night again & its a stable 1.009 after 9 days. bottling tonight. i'll keep the bottles in the warmest room in the house, though i'm positive my wife isn't going to like them in the kitchen.

at this point, it's anyone but the pats...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I turned a wheat around with 10 days fermentation, and I thought it was best after only 3 days in the bottles! The esters started clearing out after a couple of weeks conditioning.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
antony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

sampled this tonight. its carbed and drinkable. not my favorite i've made but it'll satisfy a house full of people i hope. thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply