Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wheat beer - secondary and priming questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
sacks13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat beer - secondary and priming questions

I brewed a batch of Sam Summer Ale, a clone recipe I got off of this site. Half the extract is Wheat.

Anyway I've had in primary for about 2 weeks and krausen is down after 4-5 day fermentation and 6-7 days since then. Should I go to a secondary for a wheat beer?

On a related note, if I do go to a secondary I may need to rack to bottle straight from that secondary without the use of a bottling bucket. Can I just stir the priming sugar into the secondary when it comes time to bottle?

thans guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't secondary my hefe; 16 days in the primary and it turned out great so I'd say it's not necessary. You're not looking for clearing with a hefe.

I would use a bottling bucket if you have one. Makes mixing the priming sugar in much easier and will distribute the sugar more evenly.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roterdrache
I didn't secondary my hefe; 16 days in the primary and it turned out great so I'd say it's not necessary. You're not looking for clearing with a hefe.
Me either, it didn't seem neccessary so just be careful when racking to the bottling bucket. I let mine in the primary for 14 days.

Gary

Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did a dunkelweizen a couple of months back and just let it go in primary for 2 weeks and went straight to the bottling bucket. Came out awesome. I'm going to get a hefeweizen going later this week and plan on doing the same.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, you're not brewing a hefe. It's an American Wheat.

I say -1-2 weeks in the primary followed by 2 weeks in the secondary for clearing.

You are going to get more clearing in the secondary so rack to a bottling bucket. If you stir up all the yeast that's been dropping out you'll just make the brew cloudy again.

Quick Reply