Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wheat beer help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
darth5aint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wheat beer help

Im going to brew an extract wheat beer. I picked up flaked wheat because i read it adds mouthfeel and haze im looking for. I later read it just adds unfermentables without mashing another grain with it. Should i steep it or just save or for another brew with otger steepable specialty grains

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

If you can pick up a half pound of crushed 2-row malt then just "steep" them together in the 150s range (152 would be good) for 30-60 minutes and you'll be good. All the benefits from the flaked wheat plus a minor gravity boost from both. Just try to keep them in the 150s range and you'll be good.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
darth5aint
Recipes 

Would a honey malt have same effect or does it have to be plain 2 row

Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Honey malt doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert other grains, but it can convert itself. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it in with the flaked wheat. Are you using any other grains?

I'm no expert on flaked wheat, or most other grains, however I would think that you will get the haziness from the flaked wheat that you are wanting since it's mostly proteins that cause the haze, and the proteins will be leached/released from the grain during mashing/steeping. The mouthfeel you're after _might_ be another story. If it's the proteins that contribute mouthfeel (it very well could be) then you may get that attribute as well. Without another grain with high diastatic power the starch cannot be converted to sugars and will remain unused by the yeast (i.e. the starches should mostly settle out over time). I know I've used flaked oats in extract batches in the past to contribute the creamy mouthfeel and it was successful (at least partially).

Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Actually it looks like honey malt doesn't have any diastatic power. If you want the full potential from the flaked you'd need to use a base malt like 2-row/pale or wheat malt.

I'll leave the advice about steeping the flaked to others, never tried it without mashing.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

How much flaked wheat do you have? I'd think that half a pound to as much as a pound might be appropriate to give you the haziness and the head retention that it is known for. You are depending on the extract to give you the fermentables.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Carapils is also an option for mouthfeel.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

midwest supplies blonde ale extract kit contains a ½lb of flaked wheat and instructions say just steep with the caramel & caravienne

30 minute steep @ 155 would be enough for some conversion

the kit is basically an extract version of Biermuncher's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde

my 2ᴺᴰ batch of this is in my primary now; the BigHair loves it

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Quick Reply