Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > whats your favorite hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
mccartney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default whats your favorite hops

im kinda new to brewing, ive found a love for cascade hops because of the bitterness and aroma.

but i want to know what are some favorite hops and why. i want to expand my palate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've been brewing a lot recently with Nugget for bittering, then using Kent Goldings and Fuggles for flavour and aroma. The nugget is a good neutral bittering hop with a relatively high AA% so I don't need to use loads for a decent bittering charge. The Kent Goldings have a nice sweet, floral kinda of thing going and the Fuggles bring a more earthy, resiny note to the party.

I've been doing quite a lot of English ESBs and IPAs of recent with the occasional stout.

Galena and Magnum are both pretty good bittering hops that I've used with good results. Love Cascade, Centennial, Northern Brewer for certain IPAs, porters and stouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 829 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Try a batch with nugget for bittering and Citra (if you can find it) for flavoring and dry hopping. To me it gives the beer a mango flavor. Mix Citra and Cascade for dry hopping and the beer tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice.

I bought a kit from Midwest Supplies called Black Dog Ale and when I first sampled I was sorry I bought it but with time and repeated sampling its flavor grew on me to the point that I'm thinking of doing it again. It featured Mt. Hood hops.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
mccartney
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

i like some of the aroma hops that give a fruity taste, what are some of those besides citra and cascade?

Quick Reply