Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's in the Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What's in the Water?

I know that water profiles can have a lot to do with how your brew turns out. I know some people use tap (BeerSmith doesn't like mine), and some use bottled spring water.
In my quest to the gas station to pick up some water, I stumbled upon a problem, no spring water to be found. With the brew waiting to be brewed, I had to think fast, purified tap water from aquifina, whats the point, and I can't use reverse osmosis water, no additives to give it any character and my LHBS is close on Mondays and Tuesdays for some reason (I was brewing on Monday). So my only choice, FIJI.
Yes, it may be the most expensive bottled water you can buy, but my brew's worth it.
My point is, anyone familiar with this water profile and how it may accentuate the hop/malt flavor in my brew? I know that it is fairly hard, a helluva lot harder than my tap, and I actually have the mineral content analysis. So I guess my real question is, how do different minerals, ie calcium, magnesium, silica, affect the profile of the brew, in my case, a DIPA (OG 1.079, IBU 131 )?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Be careful with "designer" bottled water. They put in flavoring agents that can have a nasty reaction wwhen used to brew beer. A couple of my batches went funky with certain waters. Ice Mountain gave me the best results.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

FIJI's main selling point is that it has been "never touched by man." They use a volcanic artesian aquifer in Fiji (Australia's neighbor) that draws the water to the suface through heat and escaping gas, directly to their bottles. The plant that they bottle at is apparentley the only sign of civilization within hundreds of miles, keeping their water as pure as nature intended it. According to their website, it goes straight from the ground to the bottle, no agents or anything that would constitute being "touched by man."

On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Doing a web search can be your best friend. There are some web sites that can give you water analysis data for many different bottled waters, although the data might not be complete. I did do a quick search for "fiji bottled water analysis" and came across this BostonGlobe article.

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...r_wars/?page=2

In particular this excerpt caught my eye. Hopefully you boiled the water. If you didn't, don't worry. Things might still be OK.

The Globe's lab tests, conducted by GeoLabs Inc. in Braintree and G&L Laboratories in Quincy, indicated there were some differences between the bottled and tap waters, but the differences in most cases were minimal.

The chief exception was a background bacteria test that found unusually high levels in the Fiji bottled water.

None of the five waters tested showed any trace of coliform bacteria, which can be an indicator of E. coli. But a heterotrophic plate count test, which indicates whether conditions are ripe for bacteria growth, showed Fiji water with an estimated 1,800 colony-forming units per milliliter. The recommended maximum is 500 colony-forming units.

Paul Tierney, director of the food protection program at the state Department of Public Health, said the higher level does not necessarily indicate a health risk, but possibly a sanitation problem at the bottling plant. He said tests by his agency have found levels as high as 2,500 in some bottled waters.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

nice.... and here I was trying to be EXTRA sanitary. Did a partial boil, so still a little less than half fresh from the bottle.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

At least I won't be getting E. Coli.

HOPEFULLY, being a year and a half ago, they have done something to rectify the situation since then.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #7

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestuff
nice.... and here I was trying to be EXTRA sanitary. Did a partial boil, so still a little less than half fresh from the bottle.
Don't sweat it. The results in that test may have applied only to the particular samples they had and not necessarily to the bottles you purchased.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
BarleyWater

Recipes 

So, aside from Ice Mountain which I have never seen here, does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of water they use. I wouyld like to avoid tap, because I don'r have a chiller yet, and that would be a lot more water to cool down. Favorite brands of bottled anyone?

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #9

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're brewing with extract, any brand, plain old distilled water is fine.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #10

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just posted a new thread under Recipes and Ingredients titled "Site for Bottled Water Analysis Data". Check it out if your interested.

Quick Reply