Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's up with stainless steel wort chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
thrstyunderwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What's up with stainless steel wort chillers

I bought one a few years ago and hav used it once. My beer had a metalic taste to it. Think that's why? What cleaning method do I need to use to prevent this? Any other stainless steel wort chiller advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Thats not the source. A lot of us here, including me, ferment in stainless vessels. We also store our beer in stainless kegs.

I'm not the expert on off flavors, but off hand, you could be experiencing some harshness from over carbonation.

Here is what Jonh Palmer has to say specifically about metallic flavors:

Quote:
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I read that. Do you just recomend a mild detergent to clean stainless steel and boiling water to steralize it?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrstyunderwater View Post
Yeah, I read that. Do you just recomend a mild detergent to clean stainless steel and boiling water to steralize it?
I sell stainless steel cookware for a living ( home use)..... go to the store and buy a bottle of CAMEO cleanser and polish the stainless up with that then wash it in hot soapy water and then rinse it really well.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

In boiling water in what way? In the wort 10 min before flameout is ok. There is no reason you would ever need to sterilize a wort chiller. Sanitize maybe, but that can be accomplished with whatever sanitizer you happen to use (starsan, iodophor, bleach etc).

Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Thats not the source. A lot of us here, including me, ferment in stainless vessels. We also store our beer in stainless kegs.

I'm not the expert on off flavors, but off hand, you could be experiencing some harshness from over carbonation.

Here is what Jonh Palmer has to say specifically about metallic flavors:
I would never use aluminum to cook something I was gonna consume. ( don't wanna argue but there are a lot of reasons why) It also has zero nutritional value....iron pots may very well leach iron into the wort but as with cast iron cookware the pieces are too big to be assimilated into the bloodstream I believe...very very cheap stainless steel MAY cause some metallic taste IMO. I would make sure it was an 18/8 stainless at least.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

oops thought you were addressing me. never mind

Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I would never use aluminum to cook something I was gonna consume. ( don't wanna argue but there are a lot of reasons why) It also has zero nutritional value....iron pots may very well leach iron into the wort but as with cast iron cookware the pieces are too big to be assimilated into the bloodstream I believe...very very cheap stainless steel MAY cause some metallic taste IMO. I would make sure it was an 18/8 stainless at least.
Hey, good to know. I've been using an aluminum pot since I can't really afford a stainless one. Ignorance is bliss I guess. I did know all stainless wasn't created equal, but I didn't know that about cheap stainless. Thanks Steve!

Quick Reply