*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's with those home brew shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #31
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Does that model even exist? I think there are some major misunderstandings. That isn't a BOP, thats a production nano-brewery who sells to select customers.
Whether it exists or not, it's what the OP is describing and what people are responding to. I don't see anyone saying anything bad about conventional brew on premises operations.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
Gmccague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Does that model even exist? I think there are some major misunderstandings. That isn't a BOP, thats a production nano-brewery who sells to select customers.
And that business model gets free labor for bottling, which is arguably the worst part! Brilliant!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

My god man, just brew your beer at home! If you can't get the kitchen clean enough to appease SWMBO, move to the garage. Don't worry about the fumes or whatever getting into your beer, it won't. Or hell, patio, deck, driveway, front/back yard, they all make great places to brew. Brew strong, my brother, brew strong.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #34
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I did BOP before I got into homebrewing and while it was nice to not have the mess to clean up or the cost of the equipment, there is a LOT that you miss in BOP compared to brewing at home.

I thought BOP was fun, but that was until I finally got my homebrew on! I have a couple of friends who still do BOP at the place we always would go to and I keep telling them, homebrewing is much more fun and you will make better beer than anything you make at BOP. But, I haven't convinced them yet...

Oh and to the OP, like everyone has said, learn to clean up after yourself and your wife won't get so pissed at you. Either that or move your brewing outside. I moved outside by choice and I love it. My burner brings my kettle to a boil in less than half the time my gas stove could do it and if I do make a mess, I just hose off my deck and I'm done!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Never went to a BOP so I have no clue about them. The OP spoke of buying brew made and bottle by them which seems like buying craft beer. When I started brewing I started in the kitchen and no one in my family was happy,, not the mess as I cleaned the kitchen when I was done, but the smell. The smell of mashing grain they said was terrible I say heavenly, and the smell of boiling hops was described by my grand daughter as "Grandpa is playing with carcasses again!" I Love the smell of Centennial Hops boiling in wort, smells like a wonderful IPA. So I was banished by popular vote of the 4 women that live in my house. Banished to the basement where I built a brew room where all equipment is stored, beer is brewed and bottled. Now life is wonderful... oh and yes I still have to clean it after each brew or bottling session. A labor of love, like washing bottles... since I bottle everything I wash all bottles by hand and de-label the ones people give me. Not work, but effort to come to a fulfilling conclusion: To sit in my own little space and consume a wonderful fermented concoction that keeps my life quite sane! Thank you very much!!!

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I think its funny how many people don't like the smell of wort in the kettle or fresh hops. I'm lucky I guess as my wife and my 3 daughters (all under age 9) like the smells as much as I do! I could brew indoors if I chose and once the temps start to fall again, I will probably choose to. My wife's thing is, the clutter and luckily I have a nice little fruit cellar off of our main basement that stores all of my equipment, bottled beer, empty bottles, fermentors, etc. perfectly!

Quick Reply