Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's with those home brew shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
bighorn_brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Brew outside,,,,I've gone outside and can't stand brewing inside anymore, I hate stressing about every little drop of wort spilled, and the potential for a big mess is too risky, and yes I am married....with kids, so, the safety of the kids is first and foremost....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to agree with others here. This is in no disrespect, but having another place do basically all the work for you isn't home brewing. You might as well go to the store and buy beer if you are done with the hobby. Otherwise, if the wife is getting on your case about being messy, then either work harder at being less of a mess when brewing, or figure out a way to brew outdoors. Brewing does require some work, and its not a clean hobby. I ultimately spill a little bit here and there when brewing in my shed, but its on concrete and all it takes is a little water and a brush and the sticky mess is gone. I guess I don't know what to tell you. Having a home brew shop do the work isn't your brew, you are paying someone to make the beer for you and to bottle it--no difference than any commercial beer you can buy now except that you probably get to select the recipe--but that is no different than selecting Molsen this time and Labatt the next. I am not trying to be rude, but if you want craft beer then either seek out a local brewery or talk with the wife about wanting to continue the hobby and be a little better about cleaning up your mess when you are done.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

If the problem is making a mess in your own home, find a friend to homebrew with. Leave the mess at their house and take the beer back to yours.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
This concept is very strange to me. Bottling is my absolute least favorite part of brewing, just below clean-up. Just buy some BMC if you're not gonna brew your own.
Hear, hear. If you're going to have someone else brew and/or ferment your beer, then just save yourself some time and money and buy stuff off of the shelf and turn in your homebrewer card.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #25
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn_brew
Brew outside,,,,I've gone outside and can't stand brewing inside anymore, I hate stressing about every little drop of wort spilled, and the potential for a big mess is too risky, and yes I am married....with kids, so, the safety of the kids is first and foremost....
+1 I was kicked outside because the wife doesn't like the smell. She's insane, it smells like heaven. I love brewing in the garage. Easier to clean up the mess, and I can turn up the tunes while the kids are asleep, since brewing at night makes the wife happy that I'm available on the weekend days. It can go late, but I get to brew uninterrupted.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brew on patio or driveway

Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I work at a lhbs with a brew on premises. You make an appointment to reserve a 30 gallon steam jacket kettle. You come in with your own recipe or one of ours. (Ours are guaranteed) you then make your 15 gallons of beer under the supervision of an experienced brewer on staff. The fermentation side is handled by staff. Then 2 to 3 weeks later you come to bottle your beer you can have it filtered and carbed or can choose to bottle condition. You make the beer we take care of the mess. Can see the places mentioned earlier being pretty lame they make your beer for you and you just come and bottle?

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Haters gonna hate. But brew on premises places are a great way to get started in homebrewing. Sure its more expensive, but you have none of the up front equipment costs, aggravation from the spouse, or storage issues. I wonder if the OP isn't a bit confused about how his chosen BOP works and perhaps more questions are in order. If I were the OP and things were too 'hot' at home to brew, I'd give BOP a shot and see how it goes.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #29
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Haters gonna hate. But brew on premises places are a great way to get started in homebrewing. Sure its more expensive, but you have none of the up front equipment costs, aggravation from the spouse, or storage issues. I wonder if the OP isn't a bit confused about how his chosen BOP works and perhaps more questions are in order. If I were the OP and things were too 'hot' at home to brew, I'd give BOP a shot and see how it goes.
I don't think anyone's "hating" BOP. People are hating TBOPFYASITYAHETII (they brew on premises for you and sell it to you as homebrew even though it isn't).

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Does that model even exist? I think there are some major misunderstandings. That isn't a BOP, thats a production nano-brewery who sells to select customers.

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply