Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What's with those home brew shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
feinbera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

CYA time.... all it takes is for a couple schmucks who can't tell the difference between cellar temp and full-sun-in-the-back-of-the-car-for-a-week temp to ruin these shops' day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Husher
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I don't understand. Why would you need to store the yeast-less beer in the fridge any more than yeast-full beer?

And now you're being told that you need to store cold if it does have yeast?

Am I missing something here?
I'm assuming that the yeast is what keeps the beer fresh and aging. if the yeast is sterilized at 2 weeks, the beer will go bad more quickly (beer shop says 4 weeks) without refrigeration. The stuff in my basement now has been there for 4 months at 18 degrees and it's fine. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming not if the shop is telling me it WILL go bad without refrigeration.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Husher
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera View Post
CYA time.... all it takes is for a couple schmucks who can't tell the difference between cellar temp and full-sun-in-the-back-of-the-car-for-a-week temp to ruin these shops' day.
So what are you telling me? They're exaggerating so I won't be disappointed if I leave it on the basement floor and it doesn't spoil?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I'm assuming that the yeast is what keeps the beer fresh and aging. if the yeast is sterilized at 2 weeks, the beer will go bad more quickly (beer shop says 4 weeks) without refrigeration. The stuff in my basement now has been there for 4 months at 18 degrees and it's fine. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming not if the shop is telling me it WILL go bad without refrigeration.
Beer ages. Some beer is meant to be drunk young, and some beer is meant to age. I've never noticed any appreciable difference between how filtered and unfiltered beers age. I've paid good money for aged, filtered barleywines.

If you're sloppy with your handling, you can start to see some oxidation after four weeks I suppose. But, I don't see much reason to believe that the presence or absence of yeast will impact this significantly. Bottle conditioning beer (in contrast to force carbing it) can scrub some oxygen out, perhaps.

There are a lot of good threads on this board about how aging works. It seems like you're getting some strange information, so it might be worth a read.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Go buy a case of PBR and call it good. They have brewed it, filtered it, bottled it and shipped it to to you neighborhood store. You don't have to do a thing and it's probably cheaper than messing with it.

All kidding aside, I prefer to brew it, ferment it, keg it and drink it myself. Where's the fun if you can't call it your own?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubDog View Post
All kidding aside, I prefer to brew it, ferment it, keg it and drink it myself. Where's the fun if you can't call it your own?
QFT. i can always go to the store and buy beer, but it is so much more fun doing the whole process myself and tweaking recipes until they're just the way i want

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I'll also speak to that sentiment - if you're going to homebrew, then homebrew (and clean up after yourself, for crying out loud!). If you're just going to go to a shop and pay way too much for them to brew for you, save yourself a bunch of time and money and just buy a bunch of different good craft brews and call it a day.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Agreed with trub and krazy. I actually live in an area with at least 10 craft breweries in close distance and/or brew pubs I am very lucky! Suffice to say I don't home brew for a lack of good beer in my area, rather because I enjoy the process and chance to be a little creative. Nothing like finally cracking a brew open after waiting two months to see smell and taste the fruits of your labor and patience.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
mtk6006
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Wait you let someone else brew you beer? For the love of god! Dont you live there too? Hell everyone makes a mess in kitchen its protocal. Thats why clorox wipes are there. Just clean up after yourself. Compromise or something.....

Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This concept is very strange to me. Bottling is my absolute least favorite part of brewing, just below clean-up. Just buy some BMC if you're not gonna brew your own.

LandoLincoln Likes This 

Quick Reply