Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Whats needed? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whats-needed-370359/)

lbwar15 11-27-2012 09:21 AM

Whats needed?
 
Just found the forum and thought "I love beer" why not make my own. But I have no idea how. So any help would be grate.

jakeperks 11-27-2012 09:50 AM

My first step was to purchase and read - cover to cover - How To Brew by John J Palmer.

hercher 11-27-2012 09:52 AM

Your best bet is to find a homebrew supply shop in the area. They can guide you, as well as sell you whatever you need. There are also many websites from which you can order what you need. Some examples (no endorsement implied): Williamsbrewing.com, midwestsupplies.com, brewmasterswarehouse.com, northernbrewer.com.

However, in brief, to get started:

A large pot for boiling
A fermenter vessel -- usually either a carboy (large water jug) or plastic bucket with tight fitting lid (with a hole to insert an airlock
Airlock and rubber stopper
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Empty beer bottles (no twist-off)
Bottle caps
A capper

That's pretty much it, for equipment.

lbwar15 11-27-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks. I found some local places. Also found out a friend of mine brews beer. Who new every time I drank with him we bye it.

gcdowd 11-27-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15
Thanks. I found some local places. Also found out a friend of mine brews beer. Who new every time I drank with him we bye it.

Your friend will probably be your best asset in helping you brew. Good luck!

Erich8 11-27-2012 12:51 PM

I am on my 3rd batch currently. I just picked up a basic brewing kit from my LHBS and it has just about everything needed to get going. I did pick up a stainless steel brew kettle as well as a thermometer. And other miscellaneous items as I've progressed. Just do your research before you brew your first batch, and be patient. I really had no patience with my first batch and I wish I had. Obviously this is a great resource and I have found that YouTube has worked really well for me as well. I learned a lot of little things that my LHBS didn't tell me about just by doing some research. And home brewing is heavily addictive.. Best of luck.

unionrdr 11-27-2012 01:12 PM

Midwest has their Basic Brewing kit for $65. They also have options that can be added on as well.

lbwar15 11-27-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erich8
I am on my 3rd batch currently. I just picked up a basic brewing kit from my LHBS and it has just about everything needed to get going. I did pick up a stainless steel brew kettle as well as a thermometer. And other miscellaneous items as I've progressed. Just do your research before you brew your first batch, and be patient. I really had no patience with my first batch and I wish I had. Obviously this is a great resource and I have found that YouTube has worked really well for me as well. I learned a lot of little things that my LHBS didn't tell me about just by doing some research. And home brewing is heavily addictive.. Best of luck.

How long dose it take for a batch?

unionrdr 11-27-2012 01:20 PM

An average gravity ale takes about 3 weeks from brew kettle to keg/bottle. Another 3-5 weeks from start of bottle conditioning at room temp to fridge time & pour.

F250 11-27-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeperks (Post 4624777)
My first step was to purchase and read - cover to cover - How To Brew by John J Palmer.

^^^This.

Then read as much as you can here, especially the stickies. :mug:

Rick


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.